Should I be worried???...

Ok, so my son is five months old and our ped. told us to start him on cereal and fruits and veggies. I did and he has been doing good on them. He is eating about half a cup of cereal in the morning and a fruit and veggie in the afternoon and then another half cup of cereal in the evening. I dont force feed him, I just give him food when he has him mouth opened wanting me to feed him. Lately he only has about four bottles a day. Sometimes ranging from six to ten ounces. Is this normal? Am I overfeeding him. Remember... I am not forcing him to eat this much! LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as he is not spitting a ton of it up, I think you are fine. They eat what they need and he may be going through a big growth spurt right now too. No worries, you are doing fine Momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You should only be giving him food AFTER he has had his bottle. They still can't get a lot of nutrition out of food (especially the cereal, the fruits and veggies they assimilate pretty well, but they're not complete nutrition) and so they need the nutrients in the breastmilk or formula WAY more than they need cereal or formula. Offer solids after he has had his bottle until he is 1.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Formula or breastmilk should be his primary source of nutrition at this age; he does not need all of that food. In the first year, food is for experimentation and should only be offered after formula or bm.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with Ati_13 and would like to add the 1/2 cup of cereal is at least 2 servings to an infant. (May have to check my ECI paperwork, might even be 4 servings.) When you start out, about 1 oz or 1/8 Cup is a serving of fruits, vegs, etc. So you can feed the smaller amounts then give the bottle if you want, but he should still be taking 8 oz bottles. The nutrition is in the formula until he's one.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• You are giving him way too much solid food at his age. He still needs more formula than solid foods at this point because of the nutrients in the formula.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:03 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• He's doing fine as long as there has not been a huge drop in the amount of formula he takes daily. If there has been a large drop, cut back on the cereal and baby food. If the drop was only a few ounces...it's not a big deal.

If you were over feeding him, he'd be puking.

When in doubt, ask the pediatrician.

We had their meals at our meal time and always offered formula with the meal (we drink with our meals, don't we?) Also remember that if you're mixing his cereal with formula, he's getting that as "formula intake" as well. Personally, I think I might cut back on the cereal...but we kept it for breakfast and mixed some in with the veggies and fruit we gave at lunch and supper (they liked thicker textures)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my pedi told us to feed my DD food and then if she still wanted a bottle to do that.
    She was eating more than 32 oz of formula a day.

I'd just call your pedi about it.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 10:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think it's a bit much on the solids. At this age, they're for fun, not nutrition. I'd cut back, and offer more formula (or nurse more if you were nursing). He needs more formula/breast milk right now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2009