What do your kids call their stepdad?

My son calls my fiance by his first name (Bryan) and my mom says he should call him "Mr. Bryan", but to me it sounds too impersonal. He has been in his life since he was a year old.... If your kids have a stepfather, what do they call him?

abbyleigh

Asked by abbyleigh at 12:22 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Growing up, i called my first step dad by his name, then it became "daddy-(his name)", and then just daddy. When they divorced,I still called him dad until i hit about 12 and fully understood all the crap going on. I call my step-dad (my mom's husband now) by his name and they've been together since i was 10. I dont ever remember calling him Mr. a bit weird. I agree it's too impersonal.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My DD calls him "Papi" or "Daddy", or "Dad". He has been around since she was about 8 or 9 months old. A litle while after she turned a year or a year and a half, his mom started telling her to call him "Papi". I was not comfortable with that at first. Then he started doing it. Still felt weird for a while, then I did it. LOL... So that's what she calls him. :)
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:32 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• growing up I had 2 step dads.. The first I called Keith then started to call Dad... I was young... then my second stepdad I called Brian and never anything else... He was with my Mom for 11 years and I never had the urge to call him anything but Brian
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:43 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Even though I plan and hope to be with my DF for the rest of our lives he will for ever be called by his name by my children. I will correct them should they call him other wise. Even though at this point I can not stand my ex- that does not give me or any one else the right to usurp his title, warp it in any way or give it to another. I expect (demand) the same of him. I refuse to allow my children to call his wife Her name Mom as they wanted or any derivative that hints at a mother's title. If he wants to give her his title then that's up to him but I'm the only mommy, mom, mama, etc that is in my children's lives she can be their friend mentor etc, never NEVER mom. I'm defensive that way. I suppose it would be different if their father was not involved in their lives however my DH would have to adopt them first as marriages are no longer forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my stepkids call their step dad, "dad" around us it's daddy name and the youngest gets confused, his mother told him the step dad was his real dad and calls his real dad -my husband(whom he has had visits with for almost 4 years) daddy name. I would not want to confuse kids and have them call him by his first name. The kids call me Ms. name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• dad cause her sperm donor isn't in her life at all. She knows her sd isn't her real father.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Dad because his bio dad has never been in the picture.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2009