How old was your baby when you first gave solids?

My DD is 3 months old and I'm going to try to go back to work soon. But my DD is a little piggy and I don't think I'll be able to pump enough for her while I'm at work (and she wont take formula, we've tried everything!) I've looked up the "criteria" for starting solids and she meets about half of them. She pushes her tongue to the back, holds her head up, shows major interest in food, she has been waking up to eat constantly, and she knows when she is full. But she hasn't doubled her birth weight (she was 7.3 and she is now 11) and she cant sit up by herself. How old were your babies when they started solids? And what "criteria" did they have?

buttercup33

Asked by buttercup33 at 1:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he was about 4 months old, he didn't sit up on his own either, he did show intrest in food, my baby can eat lol. I fed him cereal mixed with formula and sometimes with juice, eventualy I added table food(around 5 months), once he tried table food he didn't want anything to do with baby cereal.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Hello am elena, well when my twins were around 2 months old I started to give the the formula with cereal, and at 4 months I started them on baby food,#1, like fruits and squash, carrots, you know, those nice tasting veggie, alson I used to boil just plain white rice with lots of water, than, I would strain the rice and prepare their formula with the white water the was made from boiling rice, its very healthy and keeps the full for a hours more then just formula, also chicken noddle creme soup with good, boil i patato mash it very mash, put a little be of the babymilk, to make it creamy and pit of margatine, and boy at 4 months do they love it. you have to teach the baby around their 4th month with a baby spoon, so they would get used to it, remember a small portion cause their stomach is very little, spanish mom start their baby on solid food early.
    Elena2005

Answer by Elena2005 at 2:19 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I breastfed exclusively until 5 months. I started with step 1 applesauce, banana baby food and oatmeal. She quickly got used to it and started eating more and more often. By 7 months she ate solids for breakfast lunch and dinner along with some bm.
    crystaleve29

Answer by crystaleve29 at 2:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Each of my kids started at 7 months. That was the point when I felt that they were very interested in food, and that they still seemed hungry after a feeding. You should join a breastfeeding group for pumping support. There is no reason why you can't keep up! :) It is all about supply and demand. Make sure your pump is well taken care of, and that you consistantly pump at the same times every day.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I started at 3.5 mos with rice cereal. 4 mos she was eating veggies and fruits. Actually, her first taste of food was stage 3 strawberry banana and to this day she loves strawberry/banana anything. She was able to sit without support, showed a MAJOR interest in food, and knew when she was full. She was still getting full from formula, so I fed her once a day for the first little while and and then slowly added another feeding a few hours later. She didn't eat very much and did have that tongue relux, where she pushed everything out, which quickly went away after the 3rd feeding. By 8 mos, she tried dropping the formula all together and was eating 3 "meals" a day.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:19 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would look into reverse cycling rather than solids at this age...6 months is how long its recommended to EBF with no solids.

As far as being a piggy...babies will overeat..leave 1-1.25 oz an hour if you work 8 hours leave 8-10 oz seperated into 2.5-3 oz sections...baby shouldn't be overfed it is a bad thing.

Leave what you can pump and nruse before leaving and as soon as you return baby will not starve and baby will nurse extra once home to make up for it..FF babies can't do this because formula is digested so slowly, but BM is digested fast and they can nurse extra and be fine

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• btw
    I worked full time and pumped for 19.5 months, my son took 4 oz int he 8 hours I worked because I nursed before leaving...said no bottle for 2 hours, then said no bottle within 90 minutes of when I would return and I would nurse as soon as I picked up too....he nruses 2 times before I left and 4-5 times after I got home..got 2 bottles at daycare...that was perfect for him....
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• 4 months old for cereal, but, to be honest, if I were to do it again, I would have started her earlier. She was ready earlier, but I listened to the 4 month guideline instead of my own judgement and instinct. My mom said when we were all children they started us on pastene and cereal at 6 weeks old! She was shocked we were starting my daughter so late. I would say that you know your child better than anyone, so give it a try. If she's not ready, she'll let you know.
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• The biggest "criteria" that needs to be filled is that they are between 4 and 6 months. Also, it is not to be a substitute for breastmilk or formula. It is in addition to, and only for practice. There should not be a change in their liquid consumption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• 10 months
    grammarpolice

Answer by grammarpolice at 10:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2009