Would you trust this church?

There is a new and super "trendy" church in my town that is growing out of control. They sell bumper stickers/t-shirts/and all sorts of merchandise that seem to be creeping over people all over the place.
The pastor moved here (small town) from a larger area and is only in his 30s. He happens to wear designer clothes and come into starbucks all the time with his wife whos hair/nails/etc are always done.
They book big time christian rock bands to draw younger people into the church.
Aside from all of that, they are strict in the ways of sexual purity and marriage.
There are no bishops/elders/or any one that this pastor has to answer to.
would you go there? Would you trust it?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I don't trust any organized religion. I think they're all pretty much a bunch of scam artists drawing on people's fears of death and the afterlife to gain money.

They sound like televangelists without the TV. And really, would Jesus wear a Rolex on his television show? (Oh, the wisdom of Ray Stevens)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• sure, nothing wrong in looking good. Do they preach the gospel? BIG question?
    muffin400

Answer by muffin400 at 2:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I agree with ANON, I dont trust organized religion at all.I wouldnt go their or trust them
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 3:02 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• First of all it's sin to sell stuff in church it says in the Bible in black and white, I think all the big bang and flashy stuff is just a way to suck more people in, I would NEVER trust a church like that, jusus himself was poor, he didn't need nice cloths, big bands, nails, hair, he backed everything up with his word.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Nowadays kids & teens get bored with church, and dont want to go to church with boring poeple & boring music. So a lot of churches are trying to attract the youth & I see nothing wrong with it. Personally, I like smaller churches but not everyone does.
    QueenOfNagsHead

Answer by QueenOfNagsHead at 4:26 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Is the word being taught? Are people being saved? These are the type of questions you need to ask and about the flashy stuff, it may seem materialistic but is God the center focus of the pastors? All that stuff could be a distraction but not neccessarily sinful. I have a friend that is all about God and dresses top notch, makeup, nails, clothes everything. It could be that they just want to do everything in excelence and that is why they look so good. If the bible is being taught then that is what matters.
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 5:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• its not a sin to took good and enjoy what God has blessed you with. its not a sin to sell things to advertise your church--i believe JC got mad because(''den of vipers'') thats ALL that was being done, selling goods, and the church had lost its original purpose..in so many words.
    what you have to ask yourself about any church is do they teach/preach the word of God? are they correctly using it, and applying it to the church's mission/purpose? are they bearing good fruit?(sounds like this one might be doing something right, if its growing like it is)
    why not give it an honest try, without preconceived notions about the music or what the pastors dress like? my hair/makeup/nails are always done to a "T", too..is the the criteria for me NOT being christlike? i don't think so. (starbucks rocks, too!)
    do you think they aren't spending wisely? you won't know unless you have a look at their financials. stop pointing fingers, hon.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:22 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• sounds like these people arent following the bible. selling things in church and being flashy are not the way of the lord.

1tim 2:9-10
    9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

Just beware of a wolf in sheeps clothing. You have to think, how is this man paying for all of his designer wear, is it from profits from church goers? whatever you do be careful and always keep God in your mind and heart. Follow the bible and you'll never go wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I AGREE WITH THE ANONS, I DON'T TRUST ANY MAN MADE CHURCH THEY ARE ALL AFTER THE SAME THING, $ AND POWER.

Answer by older at 8:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Would Jesus try to attract followers/ save people by conforming to worldly ways? No.
    Evelyn42

Answer by Evelyn42 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 29, 2009