If you could tell a person that is about to breastfeed one thing about it what would it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• "Unless you have twins, please put the other boob back in your shirt". LOL Sorry, j/k
    Breastfeeding definitely helps bond between mom and baby way more than you realize. Women have been doing this since the first baby was born - this is a natural thing for both momma and baby - like someone said, don't over-think it, don't let all the "oh, you should" and the "oh, you shouldn't" comments bother you. A clean breast, clean hands and a modest lack of embarrassment is pretty much all you need. All babies aren't sure what it is at first - just as they aren't sure of a bottle nipple - patience, baby will eat.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It's physically and mentally exhausting!!
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 5:10 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It may be hard at first and it may hurt, but stick with it and it will get easier. Stop when you want to or need to not when the "books" or others tell you to, but at least give it a try because it is rewarding for baby and momma!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 5:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Ditto (proudparent707)!!! BUT it is also quite rewarding knowing that you can do it. I can feed my child, amazing. My one thing is that it doesn't neccessaraly come naturaly so ask for help from people that know what they are talking about. The nurses at the hospital thought they knew what they were talking about and I ended up giving ds a bottle at the hospital because the nurse said that I didn't have any milk and the baby was STARVING. Obviously she did not know about colostrum and that it is like liquid gold. So get informed and ask and keep going, it gets better and better, and it is sooooooo worth it! I promise, it is so much easier than formula, all you have to do is lift your shirt!
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 5:23 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It is definitely an experience in life you don't want to miss out on. Prepare yourself mentally that it will hurt at first and that you can get thru it. But afterwards, it is pure joy like nothing you've every felt before.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 6:11 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Don't beat yourself up or feel like less of a mom if for some reason you need to supplement with formula or can't breastfeed as long as other moms chose to, or you wanted to originally. Make choices based on what is best for you and your child, and don't compare yourselves to others.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It is the closest you'll ever be with your baby other than when the baby is in your womb.

Answer by Bmat at 8:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Don't over think it, but then again, don't be afraid to ask for help if you're having a hard time.

It might be awkward at first, but it does get easier! Once you get the hang of it, then it's a lot easier than formula - you don't have to mix formula, wash bottles, make sure you packed enough if you're out and about, or worry about having to boil the water or whatever if you're traveling, etc.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Cracked nipples HURT. Make sure you have some nipple cream before you start.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Wow, just one thing?

First let me say that I agree with Bmat 1000%! Great answer.

And now for my one thing........"Hang in there, it is worth it."
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2009