Child support ?

My husband was married before we got married. Before we met he was a little douchey and decided to take care of someone else's kids instead of his own so he fell almost 6000$ behind in child support. I've had my own bank account (He knows) and he has his own. Well child support call-a-calling today and basically took the full amount out of his account (which is know in the negative, 6 thousand bucks) can they do the same thing to my account, even if its just in my name? Please no buttheaded answers or bashing me..this is serious and if you're going to start drama take it somewhere else...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• As long as the account is just in your name you should be fine. I believe spouses are responsible for each others debt except for child support. Every state is different though. Maybe it time to buy a fire proof safe for a bit. DO NOT ADD HIS NAME TO YOUR ACCOUNT.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 5:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Why would they take from you to only give it back to you?? How long has it been since the CS order?? Good luck His money is his childrens money.
    CECE09

Answer by CECE09 at 6:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• A lawyer might be able to help clear this question up for you

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• As long as his name is no where on your account then they can't touch you account.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• That is true, as long as you have your own account even before you seperate they can not touch you.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If he is not on your checking account you should be fine they can't come after you, but he cant even be listed as a signer.  And you don't want to be on his as a signer otherwise the bank can come after you so look at that as well.  So if you have a joint savings account or something they can come after that. 

patchthatpays

Answer by patchthatpays at 8:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2009