Shoule I get the swine flu vaccine and the regular flu vaccine while pregnant?

The reason I ask this question is because my Aunt's friend just passed away from swine flu after giving birth to her second baby. She went in the hospital to have her baby and never came home. I know that she had a c section which of course any surgerty would make you more susceptible to infection.

I'm hearing from my Aunt that she contracted the swine flu from the hospital. I asked my doctor about it and he claims she had it before she came in the hospital and had other medical issues.

My concern is the vaccine will harm my unborn child.

Any comments or advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

agabriel1974

Asked by agabriel1974 at 7:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never got the flu shot while i was pregnant and i have 3 boys. I only got the flu shot once befoe and had no side effects. I don't think i would get the swine flu vaccine because it is too new. You have to decide for yourself if it is right for you. Do some reaserch first before you decide though. I am so sorry to hear about your aunt's friend.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Personally, I am going to stay far away from the swine flu vaccine. It is brand new and there will not be enough time to test afects it will have on an unborn child. My baby is due in 3 months and I am not going to take a chance with him!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• All you can do is ask your DR and find out the facts that they do know. After all there are many vaccines today but they have been tested for years and people are saying they cause this and that. Who really knows? Truth is, they make flu vaccines every year because the flu strains change every year. maybe they don't really need to test it that much. A couple of months is hardly enough to know what adverse effects it may have. I never take any flu shot and i certainly wouldnt take it while i was pg. I'm healthy and if I get teh flu I am not going to die from it so thats just my opinion.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Seriously, talk to your Dr and get the pros and cons. Not here. Too many women are biased on both sides.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I am wondering the same thing. I am due at the end of October. Right when flu season starts.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 9:14 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• All I know is if you are not treated within 48 hours of symptoms you will die. So it's like do you take the chance of dying and leaving behind my 5 year old daughter or take the chance on hurting the baby??? Then again, I'm thinking maybe my daughter should get the vaccine since she is starting kindergarten. I am not working so I wouldn't be as exposed. So confused.
    agabriel1974

Answer by agabriel1974 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 9:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Im not against vaxing but I would never use any vax that is this new and untested. Especially on my children or while pregnant. We have already signed a paper at my daughters school saying that if it becomes mandatory to get it we will just keep her home for the duration of the outbreak..
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 9:44 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Thanks for all your answers.
    agabriel1974

Answer by agabriel1974 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Thanks for all opinions! My daughter-in-law is due in mid Oct. and I work in the medical field so I too am very concerned about which course to advise her on. This has been very helpful.
    Shelley349

Answer by Shelley349 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2009