Cannibalism?

In the past, and possibly in a few small areas in the present, cannibalism has been a part of certain cultures. Often important leaders were consumed in order to absorb their great qualities or enemies were consumed either to consume a worthy foe's abilities or to anhialate their soul. What I am wondering is how we feel about cannibalism now (besides kinda grossed out).

Is cannibalism, by itself, a sin or crime against nature? Assuming that the person died a natural death. If you think it is "ok" under the right circumstances is that because it is a forgivable "sin" or because it isn't really a sin?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I find it repulsive, but if the only thing that stood between me and certain starvation were eating the corpse next to me, you better believe I'd bust our the knife and fork and go to town.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't know off-hand, but I think there's something in the Bible about NOT doing that.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:06 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• LOL considering that I hardly eat anything that is considered "normal", I am definitely NOT going to eat human flesh.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:14 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It doesn't gross me out or anything. I have always kinda been fascinated by it. There are very very few if any actual tribes left where it's still taking place... Mainly because as far as we know there are no more "hidden" tribes and the ones we know of, we have gone in and "taught better." But I see it like this, if it's part of their culture and therefore their religion I see nothing wrong with it. We in the "civilized" world look down on people like that as barbaric and disgusting, but why? Cause they aren't like us? I guess I see it the way I see some of the things in our culture, if it's something you are born with and ou have this understanding of, it's normal. If however if you are eating people for fun, that's different. Daumier was not someone I want my kids looking to as a hero.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• In religions where it's a normal occurrence, it's also usually an honor to be eaten, and so, people have been known to even go willingly to their death for that honor. And why not? How is this any different than Jesus or the thousands of Christians or Pagans through history that refused to denounce their faith and were killed? They were choosing to sacrifice themselves in many cases. If you choose to be sacrificed in order to be eaten by a priest, how can anyone say that his eating you is wrong? Cases where those that died naturally and are then eaten are very rare! But in those cases I don't see it as wrong if the dead is someone that lived in that culture OR if in the rare cases like the Donner Party, where it is saving lives.

• So, I guess to me if it's something that your culture does, who am I to step in and say it's wrong. Do I think it's natural? No, and there have been brain diseases linked to the consumption of human flesh. Like Mad People Disease instead of Mad Cow. But all in all I don't really think it's something that you can judge til you understand the culture and beliefs of those doing it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Christians eat and drink symbolic flesh and blood. While I know that there is a HUGE difference between symbolic and real physically, the actions and spiritual reasoning is many times the same. So while we see that as something that's normal and okay, other cultures or religions would look at that as just stupid, why fake it? I guess what I'm trying to say, is I see nothing wrong with the cultures that do this. Or those that eat flesh in order to live. If however you belong to a culture where this is not the norm and you decide Daumier is cool... You're really off base!

• Many Christians symbolically "eat" their deity at communion. Is that repulsive?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I can tell you what the state of oklahoma feels about it. My client is on death row, part of his crime involved a plan to eat a little girl that he killed. He did kill her but he did not eat her. The media calls him a cannibal.
    patchoulimom

Answer by patchoulimom at 10:29 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Answered at 10:06 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 by: EireLass
    I don't know off-hand, but I think there's something in the Bible about NOT doing that.

I have read that it is not forbidden anywhere in the Bible & in the OT is even encouraged (if you take the text literally, which might not have been the intent).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 29, 2009