How do you get something out of nothing?

I have seen this asked numerous times about the origins of the universe in creation verses evolution debates. I'm posting a link to an excellent (and lengthy) article by Scientific American about the Big Bang Theory. What are your thoughts?

Please keep it civil ladies, this could be a very interesting discussion. I have to work this afternoon but I will be on later. Have a good day ladies.

beeky

Asked by beeky at 10:09 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:10 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• The only way to get something out of nothing is with God's help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• You can't. Something doesn't come from nothing. That's basic Kindergarden Science. However, Science has really no clue how we got here. For all they know the big bang occured when two rocks from another universe colided and here we are... There wasn't nothing. And maybe Gods created the other universe... The point is we don't know. We can't. Scientists have no more PROOF than any one else. All any one has is faith. I just had this conversation last night, with my DH. When you look at nature as someone with faith in Creation, that's what you see. When you look at it as someone without faith in creation, you see science. It just depends on your point of view, and NO ONE has all the answers!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't get how people can say God was always there, but have an issue with unbelievers about creating something out of nothing. We're not saying there was nothing- we're only saying it wasn't a god that was always there.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Anon if that is true then where did god come from?  He would have to be something created from nothing. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:16 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I like to take the whole I Don't Know and Really Don't Care stance. I HATE it when people throw that at people like us though. I personally could give two shits if anything was "there" or not. All I know is that something happened once upon a time that started the universe as it is today. I know that the universe is expanding and will continue expanding for a long long long long long time. I don't find any reason to believe that a deity created everything because that's just silly and illogical and doesn't apply to reason. Just because we can't explain something doesn't mean it can only be explained by a higher power. At least we science minded folk can shrug and say "We just plain don't know." And that's enough for us.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Anon if that is true then where did god come from?

I keep waiting for someone to answer that one, in terms of the universe origin, that is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:22 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No one has all the answers. We can't. Either you believe there is no god and then have the question of where did the earth come from or you believe in god and have the question of where did god come from...

In scientific terms you can't get something from nothing. In mystical unanswered question terms, you have to... No matter how you see it, somewhere, some how, something came from nothing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My personal belief is that God did the creating.
    Where did he come from? Well, he just always was. I know, that really doesn't make sense and most of you won't accept that as a reason, but that's what Genesis says, and for some really bizarre reason it makes sense to me.

There is some speculation that "God" and the angels and all heavenly beings are actually aliens. I think that is a truly interesting theory, and one that certainly can't be discounted in the grand scheme of things. I AM NOT SAYING HE IS BTW!

I've never really thought about "what" God is or where He came from - it was never really something that mattered to me.

But to get something out of nothing . . . I don't think it is possible myself. I think that, even if the big bang theory is correct, that there HAD to be something there to CREATE that - and there was - matter and energy. So even in that sense, SOMETHING still came from SOMETHING.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Beeky and NotPanicking I can answer that actually. However, if you are not going to open you mind to the fact of higher deity than I am not going to waste my time.

The only way you are going to understand where God came from is by stepping out and believing in his existence.

It works like this. The Rio Grande came from somewhere. There is a gorge that was formed over millions of years. If I don't believe that river exist I can never believe that gorge was formed by the river. fi you don't believe God exist you are never going to believe the infinity of God or his timeless existance.

This being a very nice Saturday I am going to leave for now. However I am sure many of my Christian sisters will be able to answer any questions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2009