Are EVPs really the voices of the dead or are we hearing what we want to hear?

EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon). This is the recording of ghostly voices on audio tape and other audio recording devices. EVP recordings are heard under the white noise, that static, fuzzy noise you get when you are between radio stations or when playing back a blank tape. There are some EVP recordings that don’t make any sense and others sometimes speak directly to the people doing the recordings and are able to reveal personal and private information and answer researchers’ questions. These recordings are not very long and often spirits use bad grammar, but then again, so do a lot of living people. Animal sounds have been found on EVP recordings as well. EVP can only be heard on the playback of the tape and not while the recording is taking place. Just like how pictures reveal paranormal things to us that are eyes could not pick up, an audio recorder can do the same for paranormal sounds.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:11 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Like the others, I have to say it is a maybe. Often I think that the interpretation offered is people hearing what the want or expect when in fact the sound was too indistinct to really be interpreted. In the end I think it is something you have to simply call possible but unprovable. Even if you tape it yourself can you really be sure that there isn't a simple explanation? Generally you would think you would hear anything that a tape recorder could pick up, but you don't actually know that the recorder isn't better than your ears, or maybe you were distracted so you missed something so quiet & indistinct.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I have tried over and over again to do the EVP thing. Never works. All I have ever heard were voices from distant channels, not from ghosts. Does that mean that I discredit EVP? Nope. Just that I haven't gotten it to work. But where I live there are so many radio stations because of all the colleges that it's hard to find an open signal in the first place. I think it's possible! Radio signals could run on the same lines as some mystical energy planes do. Why not? So to then pick up the voices of those in those planes would just be acpected. But, I have never gotten it to work. So, until I do, I'm a skeptic!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I HAVE caught EVPs on my own, but the only issue I have is the fact that most of the time they are hard to understand and I wonder if people are simply hearing talking because they WANT to- like making something out of nothing. There are times when you can clearly hear what is being said though, and those are tough to debunk. I mean if you are all alone and you record a voice that you didn't hear, how do you explain that?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:43 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If an EVP is unintelligable, I usually chock it up to interfearence of some kind.

If, however, something is "captured" and it is clear, concise, and there is no doubt in anyone's mind what it's saying, THEN it's very possibly real.

I've never been fortunate enough to capture an EVP since I don't have the appropriate equipment to do so - but I do hope that some day I am able to!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• That kind of stuff scares the willies out of me. (what are willies anyway?!)

I've never been brave enough to do it myself. There are a bunch of Confederate Army cemeteries in my town because there was a famous Confederate prison here. If I was brave enough it would be cool to do some snooping around there.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I was at one point interrested in that type of thing, but I started to learn that that is playing with the dead..So I dont do anything that has to do with that stuff
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 2:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Of course I believe in EVP's. It is another way to "channel" (no pun intended, LOL). It is just another form of divination. The demonic realm is always looking for a way to communicate with us and deceive us.

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." 1 Peter 5:8
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Deceive you how exactly? What is their agenda? Don't you think if they were trying to trick you, they'd do it in a way everyone could hear or see? Most EVPs are not answers to direct questions (although some are), but are simply words or names tossed out there that have nothing to do with what the investigator is asking. I think attaching negative feelings towards everthing paranormal is ridiculous and kind of sad. Here you have legitimate proof that something might be going on after death, and simply because you believe in your Bible says it's not true or demons playing tricks on you, you write it off as evil!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No. Never done EVP, don't really care to try. This may or may not be along the same lines, but I have heard my name called and no one is there, I don't recognize the voice. There have been times someone is with me, but silent at the time and did not hear anything. Weird. My DH has experienced that as well when I was there. Of course it wasn't me and I didn't hear it. I've heard EVPs on websites and on TV, some of which are surprisingly clear but none in person.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009