The program "Clash of the Gods" and The Book Of Nicodemus

I was watching a discovery channel program called "Clash of the Gods". It was a very interesting show about Hades. Towards the end of the show they showed a segment on the end of days. It said that in the book of Nicodemus Jesus comes back and takes everyone from hell and there no longer is death and he sends Hades to the fiery pit to be destroyed.

Now i have a couple of questions. First of all is there a book of Nicodemus in the bible, if so who was he and where is this story? Secondly, if people are sent to hell and then brought back with Jesus then why would they be sent there in the first place?? Wouldn't that be forgiveness on the part of God if he brings those sent to hell back? I'm going to watch this again, just in case I missed something as my daughter was talking to me throughout this show.

I'm just curious. Would appreciate no bashing here, I'm just asking to be a bit educated on the subject. Thank you.

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 10:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The book of Nicodemus is not one of the 66 books in the bible. It is in actuality a ver early Christian writting. And so you will find very few that even know of is let alone give it any credit. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be given that credit. Many early Christian writings have been found and have been considered "real" The only reason that this and other writings like it are not seen as "legit" is because it would go against common church teachings.

If you would like to read the book I believe the entire writeing can be found here: http://www.tancred82.org/archive/Nicodemus.html But I can tell you, you won't find many that give it credit here...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Secondly any real study in to the bible and the languages that it was originally written would reveal that there is no mention of HELL in the bible. and that people are not damned to go to hell at all. The bible instead states that EVERYONE that dies is just dead. They are unconscious and know nothing. So how could one both go to hell and be unconscious? In stead what has been commonly translated to hell is the word Hades. Now, Hades in Roman mythology was in fact the underworld, all of it. Both good and bad. It is suspected that those living in those times knew this and would even have believed it partly because it was the common cultural belief. Job, at one point even prayed to be sent in to Hades to End his pain, not to continue it. So, it makes no sense that when they speak of Hades they speak of what we translate as Hell...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:14 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Hades was a Greek god. For this story to be included in the Bible as we know it today would have been considered heretical.

I find it interesting that so many would condemn people to Hell in one breath, then proclaim a loving, forgiving god in the next. It is one of the topics clergy still struggle with today.

Your questions are good ones, and I hope they get answered respectfully.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 11:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Revelations 20:13-14

(13) And the sea gave up those dead in it, and death and hades gave up those dead in them and they were judged individually according to their deeds. (14) And death and Hades were hurled in to the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.

So the idea of Hades and Death giving up those within is in the bible... Just one more scripture that is usually skipped over because it doesn't agree with common church teachings.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I just found the program online and plan on watching it... So, I'll let you know what I really think once I see just what is said!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• This was just interesting to watch, I am going to watch it again as there were other questions I had. I couldn't find any links in the bible.com site which is why I posted here about the book of nicodemus. So thank you for providing that link sabrina.

I just didn't understand why someone would be sent to hell and then taken out anyway.(the second part of my question) which is exactly your thoughts as well kestrelscall. I just didn't get it at all. ???

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I just saw your reply Sabrina, and I'd love to discuss this show with you and any others who may be interested. So anyone else who replies maybe we could discuss this more in depth at another time. There were other parts of the documentary that I'd like to talk about as well.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i LOVE the Clash of the Gods program. (FYI new ones are on the History Channel every Monday at 10/9 c).

the part you are talking about confused me. as Sabrina said the book of Nicodemus isn't in the "official" Bible. the Christian reasoning is that it wasnt written in the right time frame or by someone that was important enough (Paul, Peter, etc). the early Christian writings not included in the Bible are pretty numerous & very interesting read. however, shows on the History Channel usually include all of these writings as the same thing b/c the shows rarely talk about any religion as fact.

personally, i think the book of Nicodemus was someone's attempt to convert Greeks/Romans to Christianity by adding Jesus to their idea of Hades. Jesus went down to save all the good ppl from Hades & take them up to be with the Christian God. how they expected to use Hades & discredit the other Gods i have no idea. i need to read it again!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• "Hades" when mentioned in the Bible is referring to the greek word for "grave," not "hell" or a Greek God.

The Gospel of Nicodemus does not belong in the Canon of scripture. Foremost, it does not contain nor claim the authority of God which is the foremost requirement to be bound with the other holy books. We are also aware of what the early Christians believed and deemed trustworthy; Gospel of Nicodemus is not one of them. The Gospel of Nicodemus is one of many in a collection of Gnostic Gospels. Early Christian Gnosticism is not considered to coincide with the mainstream beliefs of Jesus' early apostolic church. It's an interesting story and makes interesting historical reference but there's no reason to trust it if the early church didn't (among other qualifications).

There are multiple versions of Gospel of Nicodemus and most do not contain the account of the "decent into hell" portion.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• As for the second part of your question "Secondly, if people are sent to hell and then brought back with Jesus then why would they be sent there in the first place?"

This is one of the problems with Gospel of Nicodemus and why it is not included with scripture. It does not coincide with what we know Jesus' early church believed nor the content that they verified, cherished, canonized, kept and passed amongst themselves. Early Christian Gnostics believed that only they were given the true knowledge of the divine and the "Good God" that Jesus Christ revealed as opposed to the "Evil" God of the Old Testament. We can only assume that Nicodemus was just one of many writings made to validate this claim. Mainstream Christian belief says hell is a perminent state; there is no coming back. A few others believe that hell is merely a time of purification before a soul can enter heaven (not mainstream). Hope that helped! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009