Friend with Bulimia

I'm scared for my friend. He's been throwing up for a while now and has been hiding it from me. I found out this morning that he threw up allot of blood but according to him it was nothing compared to what it's like before. What do I say or do I don't want to make matters worse. He won't go to a doctor cause no money or insurance so that's not a option.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Health

• He probably is doing some damage to his esophagus, that is what usually happens. He needs to stop it soon, or he could be in serious danger, if not already. The danger that goes along with this disease is widespread, including rupturing something. Chances are his H & H levels are very low if he is throwing up blood. Can he go to ER for a blood test? He does need to get this workup fast to find out what kind of blood loss he has been experiencing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:12 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do aside from being a friend. Have you brought it up with him? Make it so he can safely talk to you without being judged. You could help him figure out his triggers, and try to help him re-learn normal eating patterns. By that, I don't mean forcing him to eat because we already know what that will lead to. Tell him your concerns. Tell him you're worried about his health. Tell him that what he is doing can end up killing him. He probably already knows, but sometimes it helps to hear that from someone. You can encourage him to see a therapist. Also, he could also join a group online that promotes recovery from eating disorders. But take caution, some of those sites also encourages it. He has to want the help before he will ever help himself. But maybe with some education about how grim the outcome can be and unconditional support from you will prompt him to seek help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2009