Lincoln's sexuality issues....

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/02/15/reviews/980215.15borittt.html

Look at the 7th paragraph in particular. There is more to Lincoln than the "Gettysburg Address".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just don't understand why folks think Lincoln was such a great president. He was the very first in a very long line of terrible presidents that had absolutely no regard for the Constitution. He broke all the laws set forth by the founding fathers and people today praise that son of a gun for it. Unbelievable at the stupidity and gullibility of people nowadays that they cannot even do their own research and find out the truth about American history. Lincoln was scum, as is every single president that defies the Constitution!
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 3:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• so what is it? I dont care to register with that left wing rag to read it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• 7th paragraph

"Ambivalence characterized his later courtships and various marriage proposals. A possible reason for this, at least for a period of time, may have been a fear of syphilis -- not an unknown disease in his world. Wilson does not credit stories of Lincoln's possible love children but notes two episodes with prostitutes. If once or twice, why not more often? His longtime law partner, William H. Herndon, thought that ''Lincoln had a strong if not a terrible passion for women: he could hardly keep his hands off.'' Nor would he get married until he was 33."

Sounds like many modern day politicians (Clinton, Edwards and Sanford immediately come to mind), I'm not getting why this is so "shocking?"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:21 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• carpy...got to bugmenot.com to get free logins and passwords for sites like this! That's what I do! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:22 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Stay out of their personal lives!!! Sheesh, if you really care about what they do in their private lives, you need to get a life yourself. As long as they're a good President, like Lincoln and Clinton, what they do in private is of no concern.

Personally, I'd prefer my President get a hummer a day from different hookers than get us into a senseless war killing thousands of American soldiers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I meant to also include Spitzer, on my list of "fidelity-challenged" politicians!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:26 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Clinton was "taken care of" regularly by Monica (and MANY others)....shall we revisit the events that happened during HIS 8 years, that aren't so "rosy?!" LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Do whatever you want. I am aware that Clinton was getting serviced and I don't care. He was a good President. Maybe if Bush had gotten a hummer or two, he would have been better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Carpy: I think this is the NY Times books list/reviews and not the paper. I think it is interesting to learn that these indiscretions are not just those of our modern political figures. I googled Lincoln after reading this. There is also a lot of speculation about homosexuality. A man of many facets!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Maybe if Bush had gotten a hummer or two, he would have been better.

How do you know Laura doesn't have a "wild side?!" Or is it that you just advocate infidelity?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009