What position(s) did you try/use in labor?

I'm due october 23rd and I'm just wondering what everyone would recommend from personal experience. Thanks :)

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was on my hands and knees w/ dd. I didn't tear and she slid right out. Gravity made it so much eaiser! W/ ds I was on my back (because I got an epidural) and it was a lot harder to get him out. 1hr of pushing for him and only a couple mins of pushing to get her out!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 11:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Hands and knees- It made it so much easier, and made the pressure in my bottom and back less painful.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i did lounging in the tub, leaning over the bed, hands and knees for a bit, but i ended up pretty much on my back in bed because i got tired but i know it made pushing a lot harder so i should have made the extra effort to get in a better position and it would have saved effort in the end! good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• In labor, wriggling & wiggling, walking & swaying. Whatever! ;-)
    When pushing~ hands & knees (or leaning forward, upright) really helped me a LOT!
    **I had a 10-pound baby very easily without even tearing. A totally smoothe delivery. :-D
    With my smaller baby, I had been leaning back, reclined, and tore badly as I was "coached" through pushing. (not good!)

There are some things that are "standard" for hospital practice that are not always in the best interest of mom. If you can remember to do exactly as your body wants, wiggle-sway-moan-groan-walk-bounce, whatever! It will help. Your body wants to do this because it's helpful to you. (Rather than helpful to the maternity staff.)
    Staying upright is important to work with gravity. Baby can come down much more easily! AND to open the pelvis over 30 percent, try squatting (or supported squatting), too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• #1 I had to be monitored so was in the bed, but for the hard stuff I was on the bar upright

#2 on the bar of the bed

and #3 came so fast I was on my side
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2009