Hell, Hades & She'ol... Are they really a place of eternal torment?

She'ol and Hades are both terms that have often be translated in to HELL. However there is much proof that those were not the meaning of the literal words. In fact Job prayed to be sent in to She'ol until God was no longger angry at him. Why would he do that if he felt She'ol was the Hell that we think of today? Why would he pray for eternal pain and suffering? Acts also holds the word Hades, but in this case it actually says that Jesus was there prior to resurection, why would Jesus be in hell?

So, my question is this, why is there any belief in Hell when the bible is very clear that Hell is NOT what the churches teach?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I honestly think the concept of Hell evolved over the ages into what we know it as today. People cherry picked the Bible and put together a picture of eternal torment and pain and fire and brimstone and smoke and ash and doing the nasty with Satan for eternity.

I think it was just used as a psychological torture device. You absolutely cannot deny that Hell is used to scare little kids, moreso in the past than today, hopefully. Little kids were told that masturbation was a sin and that if they did it or thought about it, they'd go to Hell and live with Satan forever and ever.

And I'm sorry, but if I was a Christian, I couldn't stand the thought of being in Heaven while all those people suffer in Hell. Knowing people are suffering but there's nothing I can do to help them? THAT is Hell.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:32 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• OH and don't some people believe that hell was really a place where dead bodies were burned, like a dump or ash pile? I dunno, I read that somewhere.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My personal belief is that Hell will be the complete and total absense of God or anything good. Once people realize who he is and what they should have done, only to be cast away from his presence for eternity. IMO, even the people who don't believe one ounce in God are still loved and protected by him and do feel his presence even though they dismiss it....to me it will be an eternity of knowing what you should have done, where you should be, and having every memory of every opportunity to be with God...yet sitting in eternal sadness.
    Like I said, that's my personal belief.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:34 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• The actually translation of the word "Sheol" is "grave" - death. Since Christians believe in eternal life, the concept of death without Jesus is thought of as Hell. I like how KennsWifey described it - to me, hell isn't so much a PLACE as it is a STATE - "My personal belief is that Hell will be the complete and total absense of God or anything good."- that was one of the best descriptions I've heard, and I agree 100%.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Caitxrawks ~ Actually Gehenna was the burn pile outside the city. Although you are right, it has also been mis-translated and lumped in with the beliefs of Hell.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Our concept of hell is mostly based on theology of the Middle Ages. Sheol has generally been considered a more or less formless place, some Christians are gravitating back to that interpretation for hell, considering it simply being denied the presence of God. The image of Hades changed throughout time. In Homeric writitngs it is a vaugly unpleasant place that was pretty empty & the souls were insubstantial, that everybody entered upon death, except a select few. Later it had more & less pleasant places & a judge deciding which area your soul would spend time in, but not permanently, the souls would leave hades to be reborn (after entering the river of forgetfulness). The concept of a pain-filled hell became firmly entrenched through centuries of teaching based on the writings of theologians who felt their beliefs justified Biblically or by God.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Sorry, I forgot to use spell check.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• "Caitxrawks ~ Actually Gehenna was the burn pile outside the city. Although you are right, it has also been mis-translated and lumped in with the beliefs of Hell."

Thankya ma'am =D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'd never even heard of Sheol until this post. Very fascinating.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2009