He has a point...

Lewis Black was on last night. A section of his routine revolves around things that Christians state as blanket statements, then have to backtrack as soon as they realize there's a Jewish person in the room. One of the questions he brought up - Jewish rabbis and scholars spend their entire lives studying the OT. Most Christians either discount it completely or consider it "overridden" by the NT. So why is it Christians consider themselves or their pastors qualified to interpret the OT? To the point of contradicting what rabbis and Hebrew scholars say the OT "really" means. that is. Rabbis don't run around telling people what the NT means.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• GAWD this is one of the biggest things that pisses me off. Why is it perfectly alright to use the gay people verse against them, but yet allllllllllllllllllllllllll the other laws in the OT were "overridden" by Jesus? And I love Lewis Black, he's so angry =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:44 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• You can see the part of his routine on YT here, but the language is not kid friendly, it's from cable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGrlWOhtj3g&feature=related

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yep it is a good point. I have never quite understood the detachment yet selective use of the OT by several Christian groups.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I see his point. But I have to say it's far from something that only Christians do. We all tend to blanket those that are not like us. Just like this post and this guy... "Christians do this" well, not all Christians do. IT works the same way in reverse is all I'm saying!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• True Christians know that not everything in the OT was "overidden".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Wow, NP, that really is a great point!!
    I'm going to have to watch that video now.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• IT works the same way in reverse is all I'm saying!

No, that makes it personal. I'm talking about at a conceptual level. There are accepted pieces of church doctrine, universal to pretty much every sect of Christianity, that directly contradict the Jewish view of the OT, but Jews are the ones who have been studying and interpreting it for thousands of years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• The Catholic Church believes the OT is valid in fact we have sacraments that are in the OT. I don't go around telling Rabi's (or anyone else for that matter) how to interpret the OT or the NT.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• As a Christian, I took entire classes on the OT in college. I am not a religion scholar. Therefore, it would be reasonable to conclude that some Christians also spend their lives studying the Old and New Testament and are able to pass on some of that teaching to other Christians. just guessing...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• first, i LOVE his stand up! hes the only "angry" comedian i like.

second, i agree w/ him. in fact, id be more apt to believe someone who doesn't believe in the Bible at all to get the scholarly meanings right...they can look at it more objectively & with no theological agenda (no side to prove).

i think anyone who discredits someone's knowledge about the Bible just b/c of their religion is very ignorant. why cant a Rabbi know just as much (if not more) about the NT than a Priest? why cant an Atheist know just as much (if not more) about the Bible than a Christian or Jew? you dont have to believe it is truth to study it.

for me it all boils down to how long someone has studied. i'll believe a Christian scholar who has studied the OT for 20 years over a Jew who has only studied it for 5. and i'll trust a Jewish scholar who has studied the NT for 10 years over a Christian who has studied only 4...etc.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009