What should I tell my mother, who is trying to force me and my daughter to get the swine flu vaccination?

Seriously. She won't leave me alone. She's already insulted me and called me a bad mom. She's given me the whole "but 90k people are going to die!" speech. She's one to talk, she never gets the flu shot and probably won't get the swine flu shot herself.

I just don't know what to do. She says she knows that the news hypes it up to scare people, but then she turns around and makes me feel like the worst mother ever because I don't want to use my eight month old and myself as guinea pigs.

And I figured I'd ask you guys here because, you know, swine flu was all the rage not too long ago.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:41 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Tell her to get it herself than come and tell you guys how it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I"m not getting the swine flue shot, and neither is my daughter. Ultimately it's your decision, and no one else's. Tell her that you'll use yourself as a guinea pig as soon as she does.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 11:44 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Just tell her that your child is not getting it. She cannot force you to do it, regardless of what she says...it's just words. Cut the conversation off when she starts demeaning you. My family is not getting it either.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Don't answer the phone

Answer by rkoloms at 11:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Do whatever you feel you should do is right, in your heart. I'm not making myself or my kids guinea pigs either. I just don't know about this. It's new and with all new things there are so many unknown variables at play. I will wait and see.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I mean, I have all my vaccinations and boosters and my daughter is getting hers, but this swine flu shot is brand new and I just don't trust it. Maybe if it had been around for a long long time, it would be different, but ehhh. Something doesn't seem right to me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:52 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Just say: I love you mom, and I know you love me. I am not getting the vaccine.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Maybe she see's something you don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Just print her a few things about thalidomide and remind her that no matter how smart the people are who make it, it can be decades before we know what it will really do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:58 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Tell her thank you for your opinion and leave it at that.

Answer by louise2 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009