when should i son be off of the passy for good?

He turns 2 in october and he wont sleep without his passy he doesnt want it any other time and if he has it when he isnt sleeping he bites it. I have told my husband that i want to take him off of it but he wants to wait til after he turns 2. When is the best time to start now or wait?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It should be gone by the time your child walks...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• When my DD could bite a hole in it, I threw it away. She was only 6mths old and it was easy getting rid of. She still had her bottle and didnt even remember the passy. Ages 3 and 4 are crazy, your child should be starting school and a passy is meant for babies not preschoolers. If you take it away he will get over it quick. Just make a deal with him about giving up the passy and reward him. I did that with the sippy cup and my DD got a Dora cup in place of it. She was glad. Good Luck
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 12:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my son isnt even 2 yet who said anything about him being 3 or 4
    proudmama930

Answer by proudmama930 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would wait until his second birthday it will give a chance to start informing him of the change. I did this with mine and it worked fine, however they are all different, worse case scenario bed time will be harder for a couple of days, must children adjust quickly though, but don't give in. You might even want to give him something extra for his birthday telling him that because he such a big boy now you can have this. Try to avoid the subject once it is gone it will make it easier for him to forget.

Peace, <><
    Joyce
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 4:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My son was 6 months , just take it away , he will cry , yes it's a pain to hear but you have to do it, he's old enough to self sooth without a pacifier
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2009