Would you let your child miss school for a vacation?

My daughters school is allowing us to take her our for approx. 2 months for an extended vacation. We will be going to amazing places and she will learn many things about other cultures. She will also have work packets from school to stay on track with her class as much as possible. I think it is important for kids to not only book learn but to learn through living. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't do it, but I dont' see a problem with it provided she doesn't fall behind
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i think do it during the summer.......
    i did that kind of stuff ehrn my son was younger, now heis in school and it is important, and we can do vacations during breaks
    if you teach them now not to empesis importance on school it may backfire
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It depends on what kind of student she is. If she does well, than I agree real life experience is very important. I also assume you will be working with on the school work during this time, not just handing it her to do on her own. If you are going to do it, I would basically view it as a couple months of home school, not a vacation from school.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• one or two days maybe but longer no i wouldn't .
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No. Those kind of vacations should have been planned for the summer. I'm actually surprised your school is letting you take her out for such a long period of time.

I whole heartedly agree that life experiences are very important, but I disagree with interrupting the school year to do it. If your school district is like most, she has 3 months in the summer, a week in spring, and two weeks in winter for "life experience" vacations. I think teaching responsibility and consistency are also important, and keeping her in school for theyear, then continuing her education through vacations is the better lesson.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• hmmm, i dunno..2 months is a looooong time..but seeing as you are getting work packs for her to do, then maybe...i know when i was in grade 9..i got suspended from school for one month..and they sent me home the work i had to do, and in that month my grades got so much better, cuz i could do everything on my own time at my own pace, it was a lot better...but, with a lil kid, i dunno if that would work...i know my daughter, who is 5, doesnt listen to me when it comes to learning stuff, so its kinda hard to say...i guess it depends on the child..i mean ya theyre missing out being at school...but ya learning about the real world is also very important..good luck, and have fun!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No way. My son has a difficult enough time with school. Theres no way I could teach him since he needs very specialized help with reading. If I had a gifted child, maybe but I think it could teach a child that its ok to just do whatever you want when you want to. i want my kids to learn there is a time and place for everything. JMO
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 3:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Our district doesn't allow it. When I took him out to AZ for 2 days I had to send in a letter stating why he was going away. If he was doing poorly it would have been declined. They allow 1 week per semester. I understand that you want her to see the world but during the school year is not the best time.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think that's an awfully long time to be out of school. The maximum I would take my kids out of school for a vacation would be a week - I think 2 months is just too long. I understand seeing different cultures, etc but there are better times to plan this type of trip; I just think it would be terribly disruptive to her year.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think it's too long. No more than a week would I let my child miss school. Why can't you go during the summer vacation? Where will you be traveling that a child in this age group will appreciate and remember enough for it to be considered a 'life lesson'?
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 8:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009