Would you let your child miss school for vacation?

My daughters school is allowing us to take her our for approx. 2 months for an extended vacation. We will be going to amazing places and she will learn many things about other cultures. She will also have work packets from school to stay on track with her class as much as possible. I think it is important for kids to not only book learn but to learn through living. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Travel

• If it's only a day or two, just on time, I can understand. Other than that it gets to be a bit excessive. If you are a family that intends of going traveling for months at a time, then why not choose to homeschool and that will be a part of your curriculum. You will be doing you school at the same time as you travel. Putting a child in school only to take them out for 2 months at a time, means that they are missing a good chunk what the school curriculum is offering and even if they are given packets of to stay on track, they will still be at least a bit off track as far as class work.
    While it is important to learn through living, as you said, that can be done during the off months of summer, or on weekend trips. Why interrupt the learning process that the schools try so hard to maintain. And like I said, there is always homeschooling. It's very easy. I've done it.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Was there a reason you couldn't plan this vacation during her 3 months off in the summer? Going to school everyday isn't just about book learning-- it's about establishing social relationships with their peers, having a consistent routine, and getting a steady stream of education. Are you really going to be able to teach the lessons every day? I can understand taking a week here or there, but considering that kids already have so much time off, I think taking kids out for an entire two months is irresponsible. I can't believe your school is letting you-- our school would consider that a withdrawal and question truancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would absolutely take my dd out of school for vacation. As long as she is getting her homework to come with and it will be done what's the big deal. My parents took me out of school every year for a few weeks at a time every year and I graduated with a 4.0.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Absolutely! Especially if they start to try "year-round" schooling, I will most definitely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Although it's not for a long stretch like 2months but we take our kids out every year for our Disney Family vacations that are about 10 or 11 days. Next year we'll be gone for 2 full weeks. Our oldest daughter will start middle school on Monday and her spring break is only a little over a week and our youngest starts Pre-K on Monday as well. We realize that missing days in Pre-K is not as big of a deal as missing days of middle school but she's smart and making up a few missed days of work is well worth the FAMILY time we spend together. Sure we could take our vacation during summer when school is out but we have our reasons for not doing so.

My husband is from Holland and we will have to make a trip soon to visit Opa & Oma and flying to Holland for 1 week is out of the question, so we may be gone for several weeks. I would not spend 1 sec of time debating - our kids are young only for a short period of time.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would say it depends on her age. I think that most travel is very educational.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• 2 months seems long for an older child (like middle or high school) but for Elementary, it would be fine if its a once in a lifetime trip and not, we are going to the next state over for a few months!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I thank all of you for your input and answers...this extended trip will be taking us to several countries...Spain, Italy, France, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. My daughter will be 8 for this trip so I think she will remember this adventure not to mention all the fun and photos that will be taken. Part of this trip is a cruise the other is flight and visiting family. There are several reasons this vacations comes during the school year one of which was the ships schedule and one other is family scheduling in foriegn countries. Once again thanks to you all for your thoughts!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• While the opportunity to take a trip like this is amazing, I would also question the school "allowing" you to do so.....I agree with the AP, can you homeschool her for this year? It seems that she will miss out on a great deal of the socilization that takes place at school and may have a hard time acclimating when you return. Have a wonderful trip, can you take me with you?? :)
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think that you are doing the right thing. Life isn't all about school, as most parents think it is. Yes, education is very important but family time and culture is more important. My daughter is missing 8 days of school in October when we go on a cruise. GL! :)
    monica_0017

Answer by monica_0017 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2009