Why do working moms are considered to be "heroes" while stay-at-home moms are always criticized as being lazy and a conformist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I must admit I do envy the SAHM, but I feel I do have the harder job being a working mother. I work 5 days a week and am on call weekends. Regular work week is typically 65+. Again, if someday I can be a sahm I am all for it!

My typical night sleep during the week is about 5 hrs with one feeding in there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i've never been treated as being lazy OR a conformist
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I have been both, and I can tell you from my experiance it was harder being a working mom, 40 hour work weeks or more plus all the house-kid stuff... I dont see a SAHM as lazy, but I can see how someone might thing working moms outside the home might be "heros", although I dont see it that way. SAHMs get no break, there 24/7... So for me its just doing what must be done.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't think that's true. I think some people talk trash both ways and some praise both ways but most are in the middle and think highly of both as it's a personal choice. Those that only hear it one way or another either need to make some new friends with different veiw points, or are only remembering / hearing what they way to or only remembering what stands out in their mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my only issue with SAHM is the ones that try to get a hubby and so they can give up their job and just sit home and dont do much and idk would hate to rely on a man in case things hit the fan, but if u stay at home and actually do stuff then i have no beef
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• im a hero cuz im a wrking single mom with no help and i make sure i have fam time...lol
    but i dont think bad of stay at home moms at all, im kinda envyous
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't know but I've been treated that way before.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 12:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I've never heard this. I'm basically both, working and SAHM because I only work in the office 2x per week and work from home 3x per week with the kids. ALL moms have it tough and I DESPISE when one group says they are better. Both situations have their own set of challenges. That being said, I do wish I didn't have to work...doing both jobs simulatenously is exhausting.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Um... personally i've heard trash talk in BOTH directions and MOSTLY the SAHM's being high holy about their choice.
    HOWEVER, most give both props for doing what they do. Both situations have their own set of challenges and most moms understand that either choice has its
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'm not sure why, but I am a SAHM, and I've never been called a conformist, but I've been told that I don't contribute to my family. Wow....money is NOT the only contribution one can give to their family. I work VERY hard at home, and it works for my family. Leaving to go to a different job would not fit our lifestyle right now (but I do miss the rat-race sometimes!). I don't think I'm above or below anyone because I stay at home.
    kamsmw

Answer by kamsmw at 1:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009