Are you tired of all the birthday party and holiday gift craziness?

As my kids get older, I'm finding the amount of gift-giving and birthday party invites a bit overwhelming. I feel like there is alot of waste and that it creates clutter and that kids rarely get exactly what they were hoping for. I created a little survey to see if other moms feel the same way and will be happy to share the results when they come in. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts via the below survey link:

http://bit.ly/zKqsQ

or
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=aUB3IRsZi5qHdfQEVZimFg_3d_3d

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• way too many gifts. My 7yr old son recently had a birthday so we invited some friends out for a playdate. They asked what to get a 7yr old boy. I told them not to get anything, just wanted to go out and play. She had to give something and she asked if some fresh blueberries would be okay. My son was thrilled. I thought that was perfect
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• we don't usually do gifts, nor do we ask for them. for my daughter's birthday we did a toonie party, where everyone brought a 2 dollar coin in lieu of a gift and she used to to buy some art supplies instead of having a million toys that will just get thrown away. some of our friends have started doing the same.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• yes i am tired of the birhtdays and holidays craziness...it seems to get worse and worse every single year.....the birthdays are not as bad as like chirstmas...i have tonsss of family to buy for for christmas and im limited money..so it sucks!! i had ask family members maybe it would be easier on everyboyd if all the adults draw names and we buy for that person only..but nooooo they dont wont to do that.....so i just go to the doller tree and buy everyones gift so i cna have more money to spend on my kids for chrismtas!!!!!!
    SeanAndRileyMom

Answer by SeanAndRileyMom at 7:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• At last, someone who feels the same way I do. My daughter has gotten way too many gifts from well meaning friends and relatives. I like actress Reese Witherspoon's Christmas attitude...she gets her 2 kids 1 gift a piece that they have expressed desire for, and that's it. I truly believe people, myself included, appreciate more one nice gift than a bunch that they may not even truly enjoy or want. They just become clutter in my home, and as a mom with an outside job, I don't have time to fully clean up the mess. Some of these toys are no longer even age appropriate. Usually I keep baby gifts simple, like one doll or stuffed animal for the child to cuddle. One baby some years ago I got Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. I believe in keeping it simple and not spoiling the child.
    mimismom436

Answer by mimismom436 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009