selling an item, am I asking too much for it?

I'm trying to sell my son's changing table. he's outgrowing it, plus we could use the extra space in his bedroom. we bought it a little over a year ago, brand new. it was originally $90, i'm asking for $50. since it has only been used for about a year and is in wonderful condition, do you think the price i'm asking for it is fair? I'm knocking off $40! I would just give it away, but no one I know needs one right now, and we could use the money. I'm asking this, because someone who responded to my ad, when asking the price (which was listed, but I reckon she forgot) never responded back...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That price sounds reasonable to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• when you try to sell an item thats used ive always beleived you should sell it for half its orgional cost. now there are things that dont apply to that rule, like cars and jewelry...but for the changing table...honestly it much be a nice one, but alot of people could find a new one for cheaper....maybe not the same quality...but unfortunately thats probably whats happening.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think the rule of thumb is to charge no more than 1/3rd the original cost. So 30 at the most.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If something isn't at least 1/2 of what is was new I wont even look at it. Honestly, there are so many used baby items for sale that people just want to get rid of you can always find stuff very cheep. Why pay you 50 when someone else is bound to take 30? Maybe in your area prices run higher.  Look at other ads for used changing tables and see what your competition is asking.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Right now it may be hard to sell things like that. Heck it's hard to sell anything, especially when you can buy new ones for the same price. Granted, they are not going to be nice as yours, but people are trying to save every little penny these days, so hang in there and keep at it. Someone will buy it eventually.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It's possible, too, that the original caller was just somebody who is also selling one and just wanted to know what price for yours. If it doesn't sell in a week, cut the price back $10, then another $10 the following week if necessary.

Answer by Bmat at 1:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• For a used changing table, I wouldn't pay $50 unless it was an actual dresser type. If you look around at sales enough you can find new ones for that much.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• used changing tables, absolute MOST i would pay is 30- we got ours for ten and it retails at 110

new items lose value when used, 50 is outrageous unless you have a lot of money. and in that case they would just buy new and donate to goodwill or shelters when done
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think youre a touch high. I say its worth about 35-40 dollars. Furniture does NOT resell well unless its cheap. Used is used, regardless of how old it is. In two years, you could likely get the same amt for it. It only depreciates so much. GOod luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• found a new one at target on sale for 30
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009