For those of you who don't believe in God...

Would you read a book about God or Jesus to them? Do you feel uncomfortable reading things to your child that you don't believe are true or do you just read those books like any other fiction book you would read your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't have any books with the mention of any gods. Well wait, I do have a book of Greek mythology, but not Christian mythology. I personally wouldn't read it to my kids because I am not ready to attempt to explain the Christian faith to them. They're very young yet and I'm not sure if they really understand the difference between fact and fantasy. Also, I honestly don't know how to explain those beliefs without the kids going away from it thinking that a third of the world is crazy. I'm going to try to avoid that talk as long as I can, and reading books like those would just be opening that can of worms.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• We don't have any books on "God". We read about real things, plants, animals, humans, not make believe things that they can't see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'm not going to sit her down and be like "Okay Joss, we're going to read the Bible now." If she comes to me and wants to hear a story, I'll tell it to her however I know how. But the Bible is ONLY going to be a work of fiction in our house, just like every other holy book and story out there.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• OP HERE...

The reason I was asking is because my daughter came to me with a book that I had forgot we even had... It was a little golden book called The Story of Jesus. I felt weird reading it her, so I found another book. I'm seriously considering getting rid of any "religious" books we have. When she's old enough, she can make her own decisions about what she chooses to believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I mean, Christianity is such a touchy subject, you know? It's easy to talk about Greek and Egyptian gods because nobody follows them here. It's all just myths and legends and stories. I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. It's hard to explain about popular religions without seeming biased. We won't have to deal with that with our daughter for a few years since she's eight months old, but I know it'll get here eventually.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I did when my daughter was younger, just a few of them. But we also read books about other religious characters & books that supported non-religious philosophies. We talked about how they were stories, how some people believed them to be true & others didn't, & about what seemed reasonable. If you aren't comfortable with the book, than by all means get rid of it, but you can use it as a teaching tool if you want to. BTW I believe in gods, but not God, so that might make my situation too different from yours.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I am not Christian... But I have and continue to read the children The Bible Story Book. It's great collection of Christian mythology. I see it no different than reading them Homer... Myth is myth, if they choose to believe it as adults, that's up to them. But as children, they are just being read stories.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't purchase books about god or religion, but I do occasionally get books about religious holidays from the library to read to my daughter-but they are just stories--no more real than talking hippos. My husbands family is very religious and I would rather be there to read her these fictional stories than have someone else present them as fact.
    wikem81

Answer by wikem81 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Well, i am not Christian and i probably dont believe in the God you are referring to. But i do believe in God, as well as the Goddess. But both my boys have been to church. And we have a few books that talk about the bible. But we also talk about Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists. And i keep trying to find books that expand their knowledge on other faiths. At this point they actually have more Christian books then Pagan ones because Christianity is easy to find. For Yule they will be getting books geared more directly to Paganism. And we check out books all the time from the library that talk about many different people from many different cultures.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I BELIEVE IN GOD SO YES WE HAVE ALL SORTS OF BOOKS AND GOD IS REAL! weather you blieve in him or not..HE IS...
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 2:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2009