Does anyone have any idea on weaning a baby from breastmilk?

I am trying to wean my 14 month oldfrom breastmilk but she is so dependent on it. i try to make her take some regular milk and she hates it. I am so overwelmed because all she wants is breastmilk and wakes up couple of times throughout the night for my milk. It drives me crazy.

Yasminakin

Asked by Yasminakin at 1:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My youngest would still be nursing at night if I let her and she is 20 months. I would decrease the amount of time at each feeding at one night time sesion. Then each week drop it by one, then just don't feed her that one Then move to the second and so on. When she wakes up hold her, or pat her back in bed. It took mine 3 days after stopping our one night time feeding for her to accept that she was not going to get any more.. Now she just cuddels up to me and I rock her a few min. then put her to bed. If you are ready to be done, if she isn't on a schedule put her on one, then repeat the weening process for each one. I am in the process with mine, I want to be done by her 2 b-day on Dec.8th. Also having a breastmild sippy and slowly increasing the amount of whole milk is a great idea to, she is ging to need increased calories with each dropped feeding. Good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Well, this is normal behavior for toddlers, and breastmilk is still good for her. That said, you have done a FABULOUS job nursing her this long! Way to go mamma!

If you are SURE you are ready to stop nursing (and giving her all the good stuff that comes with it) then delay and distract. She will gradually nurse less and less and eventually stop.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• another thing you can do is introduce milk in with breastmilk in a bottle...each day increase the amount of milk to less breastmilk untill she is completely on milk.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I agree with putting the breast milk in a bottle. You could try mixing it with regular milk or what i strongly suggest is soy milk (less hormones, more benefits.) Completely up to you.
    VickysMom07

Answer by VickysMom07 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Don't bother with bottles. They're mouth rotters. Cow milk is a waste too. Babies don't need it. They need human milk. What she's doing is very normal and very beneficial to her health and emotional wellbeing. Exactly WHAT about it drives you crazy? You have to spend this time with her either way. It's better than cuddling. It's healthy. It doesn't hurt anyone.....
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If you have a SO or DH at home, trying going out of town for a night or two on the weekend. My hubby potty trained and broke both of my boys from their bottles and pacifiers on various weekends when I went out of town. They had a "boys weekend" did tons of bonding and since I was not around they did not even try to ask for whatever it was we were trying to break. Gotta love the power of a Fathers presence!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Ok, I am in the same boat as you right now. My 15 month old wants to nurse 6 times a day still. I distract, delay, give him milk in a cup... tried almost everything and nothing is really working. He tugs at my shirt and screams (awful in public). I am just trying to cut down to 3x a day. Maybe you should try that and then after she is accustomed to that, take one feeding away a month until she's weaned. I would let her "cry it out" at night. I know it sounds hard, but it really does work after a couple nights. I was reading in "The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning" that between 13 and 18 months it's really hard to wean because of separation anxiety. This holds true with my son which is why I just want to cut down on feedings and not make a scene in public everyday. Maybe try to make a 6 month goal and each month strictly eliminate one feeding. Good luck!!
    LaurenMichele

Answer by LaurenMichele at 12:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2009