Religious Evolution..

Is it truely possible to have a religion that is 100% correct?

Take Christianity for example. At one time there was only 1 Christian Church, as new Christian paths began to appear they were all off shoots of that original Church, and in later days off shoots of off shoots... So, if they original Christian Church was flawed leading to a second and third, how is it possible that the second, third or four hundreth could be any better? How can one religion that sprang from another be better than the first? Wouldn't it have the same flaws plus some?

And if it is true that there ever was a 100% correct religion wouldn't the evolution of it through the years have now negated that correctness leaving us all in the dark and creating universal equality among all faiths? Or am I wrong in believeing that the corrupt men that came to power because of their control over religion have also corrupted the religions themselves?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nerp, there's no one "true" religion. There may be an extremely basic bare doctrine that everyone believes (like in Christianity, God is God and God will always be God), but who's to say that it's correct? What about Judaism, and Islam, and all the various pagan religions, and agnosticism, and atheism, and Buddhism, and everything else out there? How do we know that some random tribe in the middle of Papua New Guinea didn't get it right? What if THEY are worshiping the "correct" higher power? I don't think there's any way we'll ever know.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• no religion is 100%. i have yet to find a Christian church that doesnt have at least one thing "wrong". i think that is why there is such a increase in non-denominational churches, so everyone can figure out the non-salvation issues for themselves instead of relying on non-Biblical doctrine to tell them what to think.

whose to say the men in charge of Christianity back when few ppl could read didnt change things to fit their own wants/thoughts/beliefs? humans are so corrupt that its easier to believe they did things for their own good than believe they were good & kept everything pure.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think that the one thing that all religions have is that 'man' interprets what is written or what the truth is.  whether knowingly or not he may skew things to preconceived notions he already has about things.  I see a little truth in most religions (God is love, God is all knowing, God is all good).  with some religions I pay no attention because the basic concepts that I believe (above) are not taught or are skewed.

Iconoclast

Answer by Iconoclast at 2:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Here we go again, because Christians can't agree on things 100%, Christianity must be wrong. I ask you who follow the nature religions, or wiccans, or any other non-mainstream belief, do you agree 100% with people who share your faith? Does that make your faith wrong.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Here we go again

Oh look, the Q&A police have arrived again.

The question is: can ANY religion be 100% correct. Christianity is used as an example. If you can't bother reading the whole question you are definitely not qualified to keep whining about them. You should consider a break from this section because your constant baiting of OPs is getting old.

OP: compare it to real evolution. The most adaptable survive. Ultimately religion may eventually become one, embraced by all. It has been suggested Unitarian Universalism could become the mainstream eventually.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I believe that the Christian church is correct. I am not talking about the man made denominations which are what people tend to think of as actual churches.

There is one real church and Jesus is the head of it. Every believer who has a relationship with Him as their Lord and Savior belongs to His church. We go to different buildings and listen to different teachers and sometimes pracitce our faith differently.

But Jesus is the real head of the church. He is the way, the truth, and the life. "And God has put all things under the authority of Christ, and he gave him this authority for the benefit of the church." Ephesians 1:22

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• In theory each change would be an improvement based on a clearer understanding of revealed or observed "truth" or a move back to the "original" teachings (supposed but almost never actually the original teachings). Each religion would be an improvement. But we "know" that not to be the case. Humans are flawed so everything they create is flawed in some way. As a pp mentions, it can be compared to biological evolution. As we know each evolution doesn't make a creature better or more perfect, just better suited to the environment at the time (or not in the case of those that fail quickly). No religion can be completely true or right & I always include my own when I say that, it just best suited to me (the environment in which it is currently thriving).

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I like nysa00's answer- I agree that if we are looking at the 'evoluation' of a religion (any religion!) we are looking at the changes due to the culture/environment, not necessarily each step being 'closer ot perfection.' One of the things that I like about Buddhism is that it's seen as natural that the Buddhadharma will be influenced by any culture it is adapted into... it's not seen as something static, it's seen as something that is fluid and will continue to change and evolve. Buddhism is not invested in it's doctrines being viewed as 'absolute truth'- it does contend that there is absolute truth, but does not equate religious doctrine with absolute reality. To use the Zen quote: The finger pointing to the moon (the teachings) is not the moon (reality.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• teamquinn~ I used Christianity as an example because they have a great number of known off shoots not because they are better or worse than any other faith. Just because they have better known differences. If I started talking about the hundreds of thousands of lesser known faiths most people wouldn't understand what I was talking about because they don't know anything about those faiths or don't know they even exist. That's why I used Christianity, not because I was picking on Christians... If you see in the wording of the question itself I say "as an example" I do not in any way shape or form say it's the only one!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• because religion is man made it can never be 100% perfect. Faith is not the same as religion
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2009