Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some ways I can gain full parental rights over my unborn child?

I know that getting full parental rights are a lot to ask for from the biological father, but I feel that it is the best thing I can do for my little girl. I haven't talked to him or had any contact with him over the entire summer. During this time I started dating a wonderful man that I once had a long relationship with, and he is more than happy to love this little girl as his own. We are now engaged and he really wants to adopt her as his own when we get married. The biological father begged me to have an abortion and begged me to give it up for adoption, however i refused. He is now engaged to another women, the one he left me for and he is perfectly happy with her. I would like to get full parental rights over my daughter before she is born, does anyone know of any ways i can do this? Keep in mind that I do not want her to never see her father I just want it to be her choice when she does. Please help.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (8)
  • Have him sign over all parental rights to you. Once that happens - your fiance can then adopt the little one.
    I would definitely consult with a lawyer - because you may have to get a DNA test - unless the biological father first accepts paternity of the child - then hands over all rights to you, the mother.
    Good luck, and congrats on your engagement and the baby. :]

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Just have the new man sign the birth certificate and give your baby his last name to start


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • yep you need him to sign something stating he gives up all rights to his daughter...another question is will you have his name on the birth cert? in some states if the father is not listed you dont need his permission to thing to think of too...are you going to want child support? if you do you dont want to take away his parental rights because then he has no obligation to pay child support...think carefully on what you want to do!

    Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Were you guys married when the baby was conceived? (That can change some things, technically.)

    Answer by doulala at 2:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • No we were not married when I got pregnant. We were just dating. I've thought about it for 6 long months and my fiance and I do not want his money. We want it to be as if she is his and mine. His name will not be on the birth certificate.

    Answer by hopebabe15 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Get married before the birth and put new guy's name on birth cert. Bio dad would have to spend a lot of money to get paternity contested.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Ask the Bio dad to sign over rights-I did it, and bio dad was MORE than happy to do so- He got out of ALL child support and never has to be around.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • I agree with everyone in saying that you should have him sign over all his parental rights, that even means that he doesn't have the right to ask to see her. But as far as putting someone elses name on the birth cert. he can always fight it if he so chooses, which would just bring a lot of problems. You don't have to have the fathers name on the birth cert as far as I know in some states, that would be something to check. But if you are wanting to go to the court and file for full custody then you have to wait till after the baby is born, gets her ssn, birth cert and everything else; till then legally she isn't a known person to the state or country.

    Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.