How do I tell my 2 year old her cat is dead?

We had to put our cat down today. She was attacked by dogs and was not going to make it. We didn't tell our 2 1/2 daughter yet, she is staying at my sister's for the night and we are planning on telling her tomorrow. What can I say to her that she'll kind of grasp the concept that her cat is not coming home? Any advice is appreciated.

lilysmom2607

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh, that is a tough one, since she is so little. Just tell her quite simply there her kitty got hurt and you had to take it to the doctor, but the doctor couldn't help it and it died. Ask her if she knows what that means. If she does then ask her if she wants to talk about it or ask you anything about it. Take this time to see what she understands and if need be explain or leave it at that if she's okay. At this age some children understand a lot and some don't really grasp the concept at all. Good luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If you are ready to introduce the idea of death , then go ahead and use those words. Or you could say the cat is living in kitty heaven or has gone to a new home. Depends on how much she comprendns and how much explaination she asks for. Just know, she's oing to keep asking for the cat again and agian for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I had to deal with this recently when a coyote jumped our fence and got our dog (he was out pottying). I told the boys that he got out (the truth...he tried to run through the fence and it jumped back out and got him) and wouldn't be coming back. They are too young to explain death to (in my opinion) and that was such a violent death I wouldn't want to tell kids about it.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I agree with this. Tell her the truth, but in the simplest way possible-- omit the death talk unless you really think she's old enough to get it. The kitty got hurt and isn't going to be able to live with you anymore. Period. Good luck-- I don't know how I'd get through that with my 2 year old either.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    I had to deal with this recently when a coyote jumped our fence and got our dog (he was out pottying). I told the boys that he got out (the truth...he tried to run through the fence and it jumped back out and got him) and wouldn't be coming back. They are too young to explain death to (in my opinion) and that was such a violent death I wouldn't want to tell kids about it.
    Bensmommy611

Answer by Bensmommy611 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009