this is nasty...

I invited my cousins children to my little girls 4th birthday party she has a 2 year old a 8 year old and a 15 year old the little boy that is one started licking on his sisters food and putting it back in her plate he licked every peice of food in her plate and then she ate it she knew he licked it (not just licked put the whole thing in his mouth and put it back) my mother then said to her don't eat that hunny he just licked that her mother said back oh its ok she is use to that....then later on he was in the ice chest playing with the ice and putting that in his mouth we had can drinks so we didn't USE the ice but that still is so nasty so I walked over and said you can't do that baby thats other peoples drink do you want a juice box his mom then said oh he is fine he is just playing....what would yall have done??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is gross, but unless it is directly affecting you then I wouldn't worry about it. It is not your job to determine what is right and wrong for other people's kids. I agree, I would not let my child do it but I guess it isn't really causing any harm.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'd have to agree with kboney.
    Yes, that is disgusting - but as long as he wasn't doing it to your child's food.. or yours, and the mother has no problem with it, then - well, whatever. It's on her.
    As for the ice - if it is used in people's drinks at any point, then yes, I might've stepped in, because.. yeah, that's just gross. And yes, he might've been "playing" but that's not sanitary for anyone. She might think it's okay for her kids to be eating saliva soaked food, but it's not okay for it to be on mine.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would have politely said, "he's putting ice his mouth and putting it back in there. His germs are getting on all the drinks that other people are drinking. i'm just asking that he not do that please?"
    I mean at your own house you can act one way but when in public there must be some rules and apparently she has set none for her child. And for her to think he's just playing... really?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• This is not only gross but unsanitary the mother should be telling the child to stop. It was effecting other people and who knows what else this child was sticking in his mouth that someone else may have eaten or drank. I would inform her that you understand he is young and just playing but now no one can utilize the ice because he has been into it. Situations like this can be difficult because you never know how someone will react, children need to be taught how to behave at home because that will carry out into the world. I never let my children jump on the furniture or run around the house because I knew if I did they would do it some place else. Excellent example my in-laws would let my step son sit on the coffee table when he played video games when mine went to do it I told them they couldn't. We went by my brothers house and my step son sat on their glass table to play games.
    Peace, <><
    Joyce

JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 4:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• get him a cup of his own ice.

but if its other people's kids I'll just watch and shudder.

as soon as it starts to affect me and my kids - then I'll say something.

of course it is also your house and YOUR rules, they should be respectful enough to take that into consideration.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would have said something about the ice. .. That pisses me off when people let their kids play in the ice and then say "OH It's just ice"
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Since I actually know of someone who choked to death on a piece of ice, that is very alarming to me that she let him play in the ice. About the person who choked to death, he inhaled the ice and it did NOT melt in his throat before he died and the ambulance did not arrive quick enough to help him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Oh I don't know... I would have called him on the unsanitary gross habit of spreading germs like he was.
    Too bad how his mother doesn't see the wrong she's done her kid by letting him just do whatever.

Your kid, your party, your rules.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 4:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009