Question for you moms whose kids play rec ball. Need honest, tactful answers!

I really need some moms to help me out with my perspective on rec ball because Im having some issues with the coach and I want to make sure that I am not being unreasonable or that I am out of line and if I am, I want to apologize. My family has been involved in rec sports, including baseball, basketball, soccer and football for 6 years. During that time, I have only had issues with 2 coaches, one that was verbally abusive and one that was a sore loser. Other than that, we've had good experiences. We just moved to a new county and since the test scores were so poor, we put our kids in private school, but we still play rec ball. My 7 yr old son wanted to play football and was quite excited about it. His coach finally called us to let us know he had practice last week. So we go and he kept them out until 8:30. School hasnt started, so I was thinking okay, he wont do that when school starts. CONTINUED.

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 2:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Then he ended up having practice THREE more times that week until after 8pm and on sat morn. I took him this morning and mentioned to the coach that I felt 4 times a week for 2 1/2 hours was excessive for 7-8 yr old boys. He got mad at me and confronted me after practice and asked me what I expected and I said I didnt expect him to treat them like the highschool team. His wife jumped in and said that baseball was the same way. Being that I am new in this county, it very well may be but my kids go to a school that has very high academic standards and that takes up a lot of our time. My son wanted to play for recreation and to have fun and hes NOT having fun. He seemed to think that I was and I explained to him that I dont have great aspirations of him playing highschool ball, not at 7 anyway. So my question is this...Am I being unreasonable to think that 4 days a week from 6-8 is too much for a second grader????
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think that you are right on! Thats too much time in my opinion. My DS has soccer comming up. He is going into the third grade and his practice will now be 2 times a week one hour each. Thats reasonable to me. Are all the coaches requiring that much practice time? Can you move him on to another team or is it too late? Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If you have other school obligations that take up a good chunk of your time and your son isn't having fun, I'd say it might be time to wave goodbye to this sport.
    My kids (2nd and 6th grade) play rec hockey and they only practice once a week and have one game a week. What they are asking of a second grader is excessive to me. And I know parents who have their kids in football down here in TX, and we love our football, but their schedules aren't like that.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I dont know about the other coaches and I m willing to go to the director and ask if its all like this because I need to know. Im not asking them to change their program, rules or expectations for me, but I want to know so that I can opt out. My husband says its because theyre all living their football dreams through their kids. Ive heard the school system was easy going and laid back around here and now I know why. Their test scores SUCK and its likely because they spend all their time playing ball. Im all for a good game of football or baseball or whatever, but not to where it consumes your life. Im not one that thinks I NEED to win to sleep at night and apparently these people do. Its like one of those backward towns in the middle of nowhere that people are born, live and die here without ever leaving the county. Im sorry but I have more hopes for my kids than that and its not going to come through sports.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, that's too much. My sister in law has my nephew in various sports (right now it's soccer), and she was telling me recently about an organization she was either looking in to or that a friend's kid played for, and it was like that. They are little kids, and they need to know from early on that school work is the priority, not their extra curricular activities. I think it's a shame that you're basically put in the position of choosing grades or football-- at 7 he should easily have time for both. But realistically, he should be showered and in bed by the time practice is over. When is he supposed to have time for homework? In the hour before dinner (which must be rushed to get to football)? And then when does he have time to just be a kid and play with friends? There needs to be a balance, and 7 1/2 hours DURING THE WEEK is entirely too much time spent on 1 activity.
    Bensmommy611

Answer by Bensmommy611 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my daughter is a cheerleader(ya i know)and the football players practice at the same time.about 430-630//////and they were the division champs last yr so i think the time can be changed...i would tal to the coach nicely.(sometimes football coaches are evil)and just ask him that if in the future they would be a chance that the times would be changed???
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Is it a get-in-shape type thing? My son's hockey team has that the first week in September. Practice 5 x that week. But after that they go to the scheduled 2 x per week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009