Does your private insurance cover the FULL price of your prescriptions?

Ours doesn't. For my son's epipen we had to pay $140.00 out of pocket.
I know you are going to say that this amount can be deducted when we file our taxes. But I'm 100% sure that it wouldn't make any difference. Why bother filing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• we have 80% coverage on our medications.

which is nice as dd's meds are almost $200 a month.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• yeah, $10 co pay
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• oh to write it off you have to go over some odd thousand amount of dollars, out of pocket...you should check for your state
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No, I pay $8 for generic and $30 for brand name. Yes you can deduct from taxes but you have to have accumulated quite a bit before its even worth it because you cant deduct the entire amt. Its only a percentage. So unless you have over a few thousand out of pocket, its not really helpful. Many brand name rx's arent covered completely by insurance. It just depends on what it is.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I have a deductable plan so we pay 100% until we hit the max for prescriptions. The max is about $450. Some years we never hit the max. This year my DH was hospitalized in January and maxxed out both sides of the plan- prescriptions and care so now everything is 0 co pay!!! We go in for every bump and sniffle...j/k
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• We have a 15.00 copay on prescripts. I just make sure I have them check the list for free and reduced prescriptions before I use my rx card.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My insurance does cover a pretty good amount, but my doc prescribed Abilify for me and the co-pay was going to be $298! The original cost for a month was nearly $1400. Why do these drug manufacturers feel the need the charge so much for a medicine that is so beneficial! Uugh!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 3:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• We don't pay for prescriptions unless we are away from the pharmacy they want us to use and then we pay $3.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Mine doesn't cover fully, but I can't complain. We pay anywhere from 15-50 but have paid less then the 15 depending on the medication. My son's one prescription a month (for bi-polar) is over 800.00 a month and I only have to pay the 50.00 dollar co-pay, I consider us lucky.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I have a 15 dollar co-pay. I would still suggest you start to write off the prescriptions as the money will come in handy on day when your least expecting it.

robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009