How can I lengthen my toddler's naps?

When I moved my 14 month dd into her crib for naptimes, her nap shortened from 1 hr. 20 min. to about 30 minutes. She wakes up tired and grumpy but usually won't go back to sleep. Any hints on how to lenghthen the nap? We do a short routine, so she's prepared for naptime, and she goes down with minimal crying.

SweetpeaAK

Asked by SweetpeaAK at 2:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, and I lay her down about 2 hours after she wakes up for the morning, consistently. So I don't think she's too over tired to sleep well...but she's definately tired and can't make it through the morning without her nap...
    SweetpeaAK

Answer by SweetpeaAK at 2:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would say that she's not tired enough if you are laying her down 2 hours after getting up. She's just slept all night and hasn't done anything to require rest at that point. Routine is good, but it does change a little over time. Maybe waiting longer to lay her down will help her get back to a longer nap.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I agree with doodlebopfan. Try putting her down later but do it gradually. Try putting her down 20 to 30 minutes later and see what happens. At 14 months my son would be up for 3 to 4 hours before he went down for a 2 hr nap. Sometime in the next few months you'll probably find her shifting to only one nap a day that will be 2 to 3 hrs long.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I agree with all of the great adivce
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Your 14 month old still takes a morning nap? Wow. Mine were down to just one afternoon nap by then.

But I'd say she's about ready to give it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Where was she napping before you started moving her into her crib? My daughter would not nap long in her crib, even now her naps are short if I put her in her bed, for some reason her naps have to be on the couch.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• She was napping on my bed...but I had to lay with her till she fell asleep, which sometimes was up to 45-60 minutes :S That's why I moved her to her crib...
    SweetpeaAK

Answer by SweetpeaAK at 6:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009