How can I get my son completely off of baby food, and have him eat what we eat?

My son is 26months old, and he'll eat yogurt, oatmeal, french toast, noodle soup, pb and j, chicken nuggets, tater tots, cereal, fruit, and corn dogs. When it comes to eating dinner he won't eat what we eat. He looks at it, says eww and has a fit. So at that point, I have to breakout the baby food. I don't want to be mean and force feed our food to him. A girlfriend of my dad did that to me when I was kid. And now I can never eat raisins. It's kind of tramitized me from eating them, and I don't want to do that to my son. Now it's really difficult and embarassing when I have to breakout the baby food when we're out with family or friends. I want him to eat like all the other 2-year olds. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions I would appreciate.

mamgirl

Asked by mamgirl at 2:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Well... why are you breaking out the baby food when he'll eat "toddler" food.
    Can't you make him tater tots and chicken nuggets? Or whatever.

Another thing is maybe - when you're at home eating in, just having him try little bits and pieces of what you guys are eating. Not force feed him - but try them a few times a week, and see if he'll change his mind.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Just don't give him baby food, when he gets hungry he will eat what you give him, and it's best if you do it while he is still younger, my son is 4 and I have a big problem with that.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Don't make him special meals try and make him understand that he needs to eat what you cooked, trust me on this you will have a hard time as they get older if you makes them special meals, I did that when my son was younger and now it's a pain, it's easier to get them used to something when they are younger, the older they get the harder it is.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Toddlers tastes are still developing. Many times they DON'T like what adults are eating. Do you have anything you didn't like as a child but eat now? Some toddlers don't like the texture of some foods they're eating. Your little guy sounds pretty typical.

Try things that incorporate what HE likes and make it into part of your meal. He likes noodle soup, how about a noodle & sauce side dish? He likes peanut butter and chicken, maybe make a peanut sauce (rkoloms has a great recipe) and let him dip some chicken pieces. Spaghetti is always fun for a kid; maybe try a corkscrew or penne pasta with spaghetti sauce (they're fun shapes). I'd still give him a few things that he likes but be sure he tries something new before saying EWW.

Are you serving his foods on a fun designed toddler plate? My kids had and still have character plates to eat from and they're tweens! LOL It was THEIR plate and thus THEIR food.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Stop breaking out the babyfood. Make what you do for dinner but have one thing that he will eat. Give him what you are having, it takes a lot of tries for kids to like new foods. He knows that you will give him the babyfood if he doesn't eat what you make. There is NO reason for a child that old to be eating babyfood, none whatsoever.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If he won't eat his dinner, don't force it. Don't break out the baby food. Just cover his plate up and put it back in the fridge. If he is having a fit later because he is hungry, warm it up and offer it again. If he refuses... oh-well. Give him a bit of milk before bed. He will survive and get the message that you are not his short-order cook. THIS is what I do with my 14-months old son. However, I do include one item on the menu that I know he will eat. If he refuses to touch his meal, he stays in the high chair for at least 20 minutes. He'll start picking at it then. We, however, always have a serving of fruit after dinner. So I am confident he is nourishing his body one way or another.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• As long as he keeps getting baby food, he will keep demanding it.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2009