Is it still normal for a 10 month old to watch his hands? For example my son was waving while watching his hand move up and down? With all the autism stuff it is hard not to question all behavior!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It just means he's discovered his hands and is fascinated by them.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I've seen adults stare at their hands so babies looking at them are probably amazed at them. He's fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Thank I know that they discover there hands when they are younger and didnt know if it would be cause for concern now that he is older? When he does it he it is brief and if you say his name he looks up and smiles. I think he is just checking out how he can make them move different ways!!

Thanks I just wanted to hear from others that their LO still did it when they were older. I tell you everything is a sign today so it freaks me out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, it's normal. I remember our little boy doing that. He was amazed that HE was the one controlling those appendages, LOL! BTW, the fascination is only beginning. He will cover his ears with his hands (w/o an ear infection), will walk while squinting to see what that's like, crawl after he can walk to remember what that's like, and then go back to walking because that's SO much better, LOL!. Wait until he discovers "hisself", LOL! Also, just a phase & nothing to worry about. And his tongue, trying to catch yours with his fingers, and watching himself in a mirror. It's all a discovery process, and perfectly normal. But, I know what you mean about a lot of focus on Autism, I was reading the warning signs monthly. I think it's like worrying about SIDS, just remember that your son PROBABLY doesn't have Autism, but that if he ever did, God would give you the grace to handle it, just like every other thing in our lives. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It's easy not to question all behavior because not all behavior is a symptom of Autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2009