Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I move on and get away from an alcoholic relationship? HELP PLEASE!

They dont have an al-anon program here where I live.

I am going crazy...he was sober for 4 days and then he drank again cause I got into a fight with him and drove him to drinking. I felt bad so I went to see him last night and all he wanted to do was "get it on and buy his some booze" I wouldnt do either though because we are not exactly together right now and because he was drunk. When he starts back up, he doesnt quit for days. He talks suicidal, yells at me, blames me or I dont hear from him at all. We made plans for tonight but I know that he is drunk...he sits at home and gets wasted off of booze. I just want out but I keep going back, for support to him and because I love him. I am so stupid cause he is so mean to me and treats me like crap. This is the second time that I have seen him in a month and my son hasnt seen him at all. When he was sober he would sit home and play video games or play on the internet.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • well, you pack your stuff, and leave. dont tlak to him and stay away. why sit there and deal with the drama and get away from it all.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • We dont live together, we are not married and this guy is not my sons dad.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • 1- you are not stupid. many women live in the same circumstances, that does not make them stupid.
    2- his drinking is not your fault. he is unable to deal with something, that is why he drinks, not you drive him to it.
    You might call the local social services or a substance abuse hotline to see if there are any services available in or around your area. I have a number for a substance abuse treatment referral, it may help. It is: 1-800-996-3784. Does he ever threaten you in any way when he's drunk? If so, don't be around him, period, until he sobers up for good. It is very easy for an alcoholic to lose control and hurt those around them. Call around, and we'll be praying for you both.

    Answer by preacherskid at 2:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Is he Bi-Polar? If you don't know then have him see a mental health professional.

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • I know it's hard when you say you love them. But you cant control everyones life. Only yours. And if you dont want all this headache...leave it. make a list of things that need to be taken care of so you can leave. For god's sake dont raise a child in that kind of environment. He needs help. You may have to take him to another city for help. But only if he's willing. Then you have to deal with the fact that he may not stay sober and be wondering when down the road he will go back being his old self. Why deal with it?

    Answer by forevermom75 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • You might want to attend an Al-Anon meeting. The outside support could help.

    Answer by KATEISME at 8:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.