Is it possible for 3 year olds to have so much anger in them and become so violent?

SIMPLYDABEZT

Asked by SIMPLYDABEZT at 2:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• only if you let them. it is up to you to control and teach your child how to behave. if you do not correct your child, he/she will continue to do so. its never too late to fix the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I have seen some kids live in some bad situations that made them rage filled at 3 yrs of age.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I discipline him.He listens around and to other people in public with or without me,its when were by ourselves sometimes that he becomes so hard headed and violent with me its hard to explain it sometimes to other people I don't know what to do is there counseling for children his age or anger management?
    SIMPLYDABEZT

Answer by SIMPLYDABEZT at 3:35 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Ive never had him in a bad situation before besides the fact that i have to work and him and his brother stay with their grandmother for 8 hoursa day..I dont go out i come home and play games color and play with flash cards but im still so confused why he acts like this
    SIMPLYDABEZT

Answer by SIMPLYDABEZT at 3:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Mabye he is trying to tell you something. Have you thought about maybe he could be being molested? Or someone is doing something to him they shouldnt be...just think about it. Other than that he is probably testing you to see how far he can go. Kids that age have a hard time dealing with feelings and dont know what to do with anger emotions...just keep talking to him and letting him know whats acceptable. Give him a pillow to punch or something.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, it is. My 2 1/2 year old has been an overly strong willed kid since she was born. I mean you could actually see the traits in her when she was just a few weeks old. Very strong, bold headed and opinionated. You have to work with your child. Be consistent. One thing I do (and i do not mean to offend you) but if you pray, then start praying everyday that God will soften your child's strong will without changing who they are. We are more than just bodies and a brain. God puts a soul and a spirit in us. Just keep on working with your child and keep positive. Even though he/she is 3 they understand a lot. Ask them what is going on but also be firm. Do NOT let them get away with hurting others. That is a zero tolerance.
    VickysMom07

Answer by VickysMom07 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• my dd is very much like that...since the day she was born. its a power struggle, but you have to nip it NOW otherwise you are feeding a monster. be stern, but do not use anger or violence back. speak to them calmly and explain why that is not ok and you will not tolerate it. timeouts, taking things away, and consistency are key. my dauhter has literally had her room emptied of everything but furnature before, then she got the point. reward good behavior. it may be protest because they arent feeling like they are getitng enough one-on-one attention. only you can really assess the situation and see things your toddler and yourself have to change to keep both of you sane.
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 5:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Anger is a response to feeling powerless

this is no less true with children

Show him how he HAS power in his choices

fer chrisakes, *don't* listen & react to what he says, listen to the actions. Maybe just stop talking at all during outbursts... I was going crazy with Ellyse's battles when she did this, but she's much better behaved now and even shows signs of... *gasp*... politeness!
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 4:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2009