Why don't they just expand medicaid?

(disclaimer - I already know medicaid is on its way to bankruptcy - and needs help itself and the libertarian in me is cringing at even asking)...BUT...

I'm just thinking if I were a democrat senator who wanted health care for everyone. Why wouldn't I just raise the income level to qualify for medicaid, and allow people to apply with higher incomes based on their medical debt ratio.

Doesn't that answer the get people covered question without having to do this whole epically huge overhaul of the entire system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• medicaid just dropped me for no reason, i'm 8 months pregnant and going to have to spend a ton of time on the phone monday.

i like medicaid
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i recieved a letter from medicaid 2 weeks ago saying it will end on the 1st of september. im only 3 months pregnant. i do not know why they did this. i have been on it since i found out i was pregnant. stupid...but i am going to be gong to tlak to them soon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• (to the two first posters) When I had medicaid while I was pregnant they dropped me during the middle of my pregnancy. For some reason, every 6 months I had to reapply (figures why during my (6-7 month of pregnancy they dropped it).
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'm 9 weeks pregnant and have been trying to talk to my caseworker about getting on medicaid b/c we can't afford the insurance through hubby's work and it's a never ending battle. Even though I have a friend in the exact same situation that is getting it with no problems. Medicaid could definitely benefit from any kind of improvement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I agree with your cringe!! But, the infrastructure is there. I don't know why they can't add a buy into option to it as well. They could do a sliding scale thing.

I think the reason it isn't even being considered is that healthcare for the uninsured isn't the issue. The issue is the government takeover of 1/6 of the economy. They already have a good portion of the banking and auto industries.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think I have heard part of it is because of the problems with medicaid and all the fraud. As if just creating a new program is going to solve that!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Medicaid should not pay for epidurals.

Lol, it also shouldnt pay for prescription pain medicine, or for people who have to go under temporary coma too with that line of thinking. Nice try on trying to stir the pot!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• There's also the lack of infrastructure. Most doctors/dentists/etc will not accept it. Increasing the availability will do nothing to encourage them to start. You could give medicaid to everyone in the country, it wouldn't make doctors appear to treat them. If anything, it would increase the strain on ER's because it's the only place guaranteed to take it.

Now, if part of the overhaul was to add some sort of incentive for more doctors to take it, that would ease a lot of the strain on the current system and make more room to add people to it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• "Now, if part of the overhaul was to add some sort of incentive for more doctors to take it, that would ease a lot of the strain on the current system and make more room to add people to it."

That's brilliant!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

or episiotomies! LMAO! You are funny! Anon
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009