Would you give your kid, under age 12, melatonin so they would go to sleep

I have 2 nieces that give their healthy kids this so they will go to sleep. they both feel that their kids are too wound up at 8 pm and would like them to go to sleep. All these kids need is to be aloud to run around outside and wear off energy, not sit in front of the tv all day then drugged to go to sleep. I even have to wonder if this is abuse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is a natural sleep aid it is fine! Nothing wrong with it!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 3:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Sorry hun - but I would anonymously report this to CPS if I were you - that is actually very serious.
    They would NOT take the kids away from them for that - don't worry, but they need a social worker to just call around and tell them that it's not a good idea and to gve them some tips.

i couldn't sit back and do nothing if I knew someone who did that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't report this to CPS, but I also don't think it's normal or natural to drug up a child to make them go to sleep ( and before you climb all over me I do know melatonin is a natural sleep inducer, I take it on occasion myself when I go through bouts of insomnia). When a child can't sleep, there is a reason for it and it sounds like the reason is pretty obvious. Kids DO need to go outside and not sit in front of a TV all day long. These kids need to go out and ride their bikes, run around and by 8 pm, need to be doing some sort of relaxing activity such as reading to relax their bodies and minds. TV actually stimulates the brain ( not in a good way) if you watch it right before bed. Reading or crossword puzzles or some other similar activity right before bed will help calm them down so they can sleep and won't need to be medicated.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Bethsunshine you are exactly right! kids need to wear themselves out then wind down naturally and fall asleep! And yes I do take melotonin for me, but I'm an adult who gets too stressed out with life,kids and bills, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Melatonin is NOT a sleeping pill, it helps you relax to sleep but will NOT make anyone go to sleep, alot of moms with kids that are ADD/ADHD give this to there kids instead of sleeping pills, or catapres which is a high bp med that Dr found will help kids unwind and sleep;but those come with some heavy side effects.
    Like the first poster stated, it is natural, your body produces.
    My 8 year old takes it, it helps him unwind and settle to fall asleep, yeah and running energy off, he runs all day but he still doesnt stop. I am lucky if I get him to sleep before 11 pm with it, without it, it is more like 1 or 2 am. Bash if you want...
    You can not OD on it and there are no side effects to melatonin.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Errr....why would you call CPS? My pediatrician told me to give it to my daughter ..who is 9 by the way. You'd look pretty dumb calling CPS when it could be in this childs chart at the doctor's office. It's a natural sleep aid. I didn't even know what is was until I mentioned at her physical that she wasn't sleeping some nights and that is when her DOCTOR said to buy it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't report it. Your right they should be more active however, I know it works because I have a friend who has a son with adhd and she is a special ed teacher she uses it. I have another friend who also uses it and her son still is up at all hours.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Bethsunshine - How can you say "they won't need to be medicated"? Melatonin is all natural, so certainly not a "medication" so to speak. If a kid needs it to sleep, so be it. My dd had ADHD but sleeps just fine, but her doc suggested giving her a caffeinated soda at night to calm her down if needed, as it has a different effect on kids with hyperactivity disorders.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Not without a doctor's okay, I wouldn't!

But then I chose not to medicate my kids unless absolutely necessary. which includes no vitamins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• No!

The need a healthy diet and no TV the last 2 hours before bedtime.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009