Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please if any one can help me.being sueyed by capital one lawyers from a credit card that i had with them total fee's right now $7000.00 what will help to me

girls if any one can help me feel more at ease with this please give me some answers. i am real scared right now. this is the second time capital ones has had somone come to my house and served me papers. they are suying me for a credit card $7000.00 with all fee's that i am not able to make payments on. i have to go to court at end of sept. i am in the process of filing chapter 7 bankrupcy but they can not do any thing until i pay them in full. so every thing is still coming at me. my husband is the only one that works right now. two yr's ago i lost my job and my husbands hr's and overtime got cut. we ended up loosing our house and not being able to pay for credit cards. all the crdit cards are in my name. so right now we rent and have to auto's that are 1997. can they take them,can they take my furniture and every thing until there dedit is paid in full. i would love to pay the credit cards but our income is so low right now

Answer Question

Asked by horselover2 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 3 (24 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • have you tried to work out a payment with them? and do you have a must if you are filing for bankrupcty. you need to talk to him ASAP. If you are filing, they cannot take your cars or your furniture. Have your lawyer contact them. good luck

    Answer by Safirejewl at 3:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Have you tried looking up things on the internet like google about these types of situations. I believe there is no way they can take your belongings. I believe what will happen is it will be ordered by the court for the money to be taken out of pay check monthly. The thing is you are not currently working and the card is in your name right? So I don't think there is much they can really do. I would def talk to your bankruptcy lawyer.

    Answer by jroseh68 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Capital is horrible to work with! I suggest maybe getting your own lawyer. My hubby has tried MANY times to work with capital. They wouldn't even accept a payment from him but had no problems adding and adding late fee charges and over the limit fees which he didn't have at first, they won't even stop adding them so he can catch up so he said fk it.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • I guarantee some legal help will help because I went through the exact same thing with capital one. I went through Pre-Paid legal and they were the best thng I ever did, Capital One is now my friend-NOT REALLY-but we will never be on terms like that again. I have the info.

    Answer by MoneySaverMoms at 4:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • For a civil suit, all they can do is get a judgment against you if they win the case. Show up to court, and they probably will win, but all it means is that your credit will be screwed, which sounds like it is anyway. They only thing the CC company can actually do to collect the money is put a lein on any property you own or purchase in the future, but even then they don't get anything unless you sell the property, at which point they take whatever the judgement is for off the top.

    Also esp if you have a lawyer you often can get them to remove the overage fees as long as you make whatever payments you agree too.

    Answer by QueenMama7808 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.