how will SAHM's live without income contributing to their SS benefits and IRA things?

I got my Social Security Statement in the mail a few days ago and I was reading about the benefits you get after retirement and such. So, when you're a SAHM and aren't contributing to those programs, how will you survive when your hubby/SO either passes away or leaves. Might be a stupid question but I really don't know? I know you can get spousal benefits but that wouldn't be enough (at least I don't think)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• you marry a rich SOB
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• life insurence for hubby is VERY important
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Well hubby has retirement plans, mutual funds, stocks, etc. It is all in both of our names. If he dies first I will still have access to it. Do people really rely JUST on social security for retirement?? That's crazy, imo.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Oh yeah, life insurance on both of us, too!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Despite being a stay at home mom, we opened and contribute to a IRA in my name at our bank. I will also collect on his SS when he retires (or passes) even if we are divorced. I worked before I had kids, so I have some SS money too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My house is paid of and I pay my cars cash.Food and bills .I have a retirement account.I will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My husband has a very large life insurance policy that I am the beneficiary on. It is enough I could pay the house off and live well and be home with my son for a long time. I inherited a large estate when my dad passed away. I also inherited my grandfathers entire estate. We have not really touched it that much I do take 2k a month in income for various expenses. If my husband left tomorrow I could take out much more a month and live the rest of my life just fine. So I have my own money. My grandfather and father made sure I would be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My husband doesn't even pay into ssi he has a pension retirment plan. So his income would just transfer over to me. Also a life insurance policy one to cover the house and a few others that would allow me to be able to pay everything off and persue other things. Also I am going to be starting a business still at home so I am not worried about social security. Never thought I would rely on it to fund my retirement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• That is a good question. The thought of not having benefits when I'm old because I stayed at home and raised my kids scares me too. I wish I had an answer.
    Blueloveaura

Answer by Blueloveaura at 7:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• That is why most of the answers you say here anonmyous says that we have a retirement plan like me,a pension or life insurance.DUH!!! anonymous51.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009