Our landlords are coming to visit for the first time in 3 years - sorry long

How picky do you think they are going to be? The arpet was badly worn when we moved in but it could probably use a professinal cleaning since we have a 3yo and pets (which they knew about) and some spots in doorways and the walls could be touched up with paint but nothing major is wrong with the house. I'm so worried they are going to kick us out b/c they've never wanted to come to the house before but - there are lots of houses for rent and sale on the street so it doenst seem like a good time for them to look for new tennets. Any ideas on what I shoudo do before they come tomorrow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If i was renting a home i would want to check on it just to make sure its still standing! lol, seriously normal ware and tear is to be expected. Try to spot clean the carpet if you think its THAT bad, and the walls will be okay, you make sure that kinda thing is okay before you move out! theyre not going to boot you out!!! unless they are considering selling, but like you said that would be silly. GL
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• clean the carpet as best as you can. Also clean the kitchen and bathrooms! Make sure the landscaping looks alright. They are probably seeing if there's any major repairs needing to be done.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 4:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'm a landlord myself and all I care about is that there is no major damage. Paint can be fixed, carpet can be cleaned. I would also not want the place to be totally trashed, regardless of how the actual house looks... if there's disgusting dishes and trash everywhere I woudln't want them there any more. Other than that I don't really care. I don't think they will be too picky as long as you are paying your rent on time each month and not letting the place fall apart.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• just make sure there is no major clutter, and that the water heater closet (if its in one) has NOTHING in it...and that all fire alarms are working...thats all thats necessary!
    Be happy you dont live where i do...its govt housing....and BOY are they anal...they check my fridge and oven for cleanliness, they check every room for general cleanliness, the closets for clutter, and even the drip pans on my stove!!! I failed inspection once for having dirty dishes in the sink!! (mind you it was just two pots soaking!!) with failed inspections they leave you a notice on what you failed on and a date they will return to see if you fixed the problem....they do this twice a year...but i have one monday cause there was a fire a few doors down because of a faulty water heater..she also had stuff next to it wich didnt help and spread the fire! luckily everyone was okay!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Just clean up and if you want buy a small can of paint and touch up , I don't think they will kick you out but make sure it looks its best! My mom has been a landlord for 30 yrs and she dose love you signsurprise inspections she always said there is a difference between messy and filthy! Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine!

toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 4:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Make sure it smells clean. Make sure there are not piles of excess stuff. Spot clean the carpet if you think necessary but if they have not looked in 3 years I would not worry. Paint is their responsibility so unless you damaged a wall, just clean the cobwebs. Clean the pets areas.
    Maybe make the beds.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 2:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2009