Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Similac or Efamil?

I just recently had my little angel 3 weeks ago and am breastfeeding 95% of the time and the other 5% my husband is bottle feeding her. The hospital sent us home with a TON of prepackaged bottles of Similac. We bought a large amount of Enfamil from Costco before we had her due to close friends saying they liked it best. So for the first 2 weeks we have given her Similac and then it was all gone, so I switched her to Enfamil. She seems crankier and spits up way more then she did. I am a first time mommy so I am not sure if this is because she is just becoming more alert and it's just normal, or because I switched formulas or some other reason.

So the real question is? Which do you prefer for your little one. And now that I have already switched her once, would it hurt her little belly to switch back to Similac. I feel like it worked better for her. Thanks bunches!

Answer Question
 
MOMMYHINZE

Asked by MOMMYHINZE at 4:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • ENFAMIL
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • I breastfed my daughter for the majority of the time. We started her out on Similac, and then switched to Enfamil. We liked Enfamil better.
    But NESTLE GOODSTART was the best!!
    christaberk

    Answer by christaberk at 4:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • She would be far better off with no formula at all - as it's clear that she is reacting to it.

    If your husband insists on feeding her also - let him feed her pumped breast milk.

    ladysavage

    Answer by ladysavage at 4:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • A couple of the benefits of breastfeeding are negated when you give formula. The allergy protection goes right out the window because the formula is not a sterile substance entering their open gut. If you really feel strongly about daddy giving her a bottle, why not express some breast milk and give that to her? It's SO much better for her.

    That said, if you don't want to do that, just go with what worked best for your baby. I don't think switching back will hurt her, and it will probably make things much better.
    Ati_13

    Answer by Ati_13 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • I started my first son out with Enfamil cuz that is what WIC provided...he was very cranky with it so the DR gave me a script for Similac and he did great with it. Luckily with my second, WIC was giving out Similac =0 )
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • We used Enfamil because that's what WIC provided. All of them did fine.

    It takes a week for old formula to be out of her system and another for the new formula to be fully in her system. Changing formulas does cause stomach upset in some babies.

    It would probably be easier on her if you went back to Similac or just pumped a bottle for your husband to give.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • All 3 of my kids had different formula! My first didnt do well with the enfamil so we switched to similac and he was fine. My second drank Enfamil (what wic gives) and she was fine with that. My 3rd had Nestle Goodstart Soy (wic changed the kind they give out) she still had terrible reflux even with the soy formula. She ended up having lactose intolerance, wich she thankfully grew out of!!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

    Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Try the Enfamil GentleEase..
    With my youngest I started BF'ing just like w/ my oldest...but it wasn't enough for him...so I had to switch to FF.
    At first he was on Enfamil....than we got wic and that's what they provided in NY...so it was fine.
    When we moved to DE WIC here provides Similac (different states have different contracts w/ the formula co's.) So for about 2 months he had the similac and was ok..but he was older than your LO. Sometimes what is ok for one child.....might not work with another....you might just have to keep tryin till you find the right one for your LO.
    Good Luck :)
    jjessers

    Answer by jjessers at 5:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • i use both i had a sample of similac in the bottle already prepared and i really like that but when that was gone i now use the sample of enfamil i got which he also had in the hospital and it doesnt seem to make a difference for my child
    katieBennett

    Answer by katieBennett at 5:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • I used Enfamil. If she had no issues on the similac then I would keep her on that.
    mommytobrooke

    Answer by mommytobrooke at 6:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.