How do your schools handle holidays?

Ours decides what to do based on the makeup of the individual class. Every parent fills out a form at registration that includes a space for any specific religious/moral restrictions, and the teacher follows up with the parents to make sure they know exactly where the line is (like, can a kid who can't do holidays still make a Mother's Day card). Last year, my kid was in a class with some no holiday kids, so they had very generic parties - chocolate chip cookies for Halloween while other classes got orange frosted cup cakes w/ plastic spiders.

I wonder at the wisdom of this. After the first few years, do the other kids pick up on who is "at fault" for them not getting to do all the things other classes do and start picking on them for it? What does your school do about it?
(I have no restrictions on my son, but one if his friends is a no-holiday kid)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's all generic these days fall festival and winter break.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Let's see we have fall parties and winter parties. They changed it after my sons first year. They used to have Halloween and CHristmas but I guess someone complained about it. I really have to wonder about this most people as children have these parties and as long as they are not preaching about it or pushing beliefs around how is it hurting the child? Now I let the teacher know that we do not do Santa so that other kids are not dissappointed about it, because the teacher did not know and my kid blurted it out. They just keep a close eye on my kids if they have a santa.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 4:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Basically they use generic terms "winter" or "holiday" parties, but the decorations, etc. are what one expect, Christmas trees, jack-o-lanterns, etc. Mostly they avoid discussion of the specifics of any holiday, but my daughter did have teachers in grade school who talked about Christmas or Easter in general ways. Kids who aren't allowed holiday celebrations here are all JWs & they can't get away with having a party but not calling it a holiday celebration. Mostly those kids are not in class for days in which there will be a celebration. You ask "After the first few years, do the other kids pick up on who is "at fault" for them not getting to do all the things other classes do and start picking on them for it?" I am sure that is the case. It seems like a bad idea to me.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• we attend Catholic school so everything is celebrated - except halloween.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My kids go to a Catholic school so it's just Christmas and Easter and Halloween, etc. We celebrate all sorts of stuff and they have a HUGE Halloween deal at school. There is a "fall frolic" in the basement with games and treats for the kids and the junior high hosts a haunted house in the other part of the school that isn't used much that costs $1 for the kids. They have a blast. They do more for Halloween then for Christmas or Easter.
    When my oldest went to public school they weren't allowed to wear their costumes to school but could change for their costume parade and had a "fall party". They had winter and spring parties, too with typical green and red, trees and all and eggs, pastels and bunnies. No one ever complained either way. The only thing I thought was silly was not wearing their costume to school (seems like it would be a waste of time to change twice during the day).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• When my kids went to Catholic school they celebrated everything including having a parade for Halloween and for Mardi Gras. Now that they're in public school they really only do Valentine's Day I think. The district gets out of having to do Halloween by having fall break at that time and some classes have a party just before winter break. Most of the parties are more centered around the school schedule (winter break, last day of school, etc). And parents are welcome to bring in stuff for birthdays as long as they let the teacher know ahead of time.

Anyway, I would think that kids would pick up on who is "at fault" and possibly bully them. I don't see how the school thinks they are helping anyone. Sounds like really it would do more harm than good.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• what religion is against orange frosting?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• man...when i was in school the "no holidays" kids got sent to the library while the rest of the class had fun. i know because i was a "no Halloween" kid...it sucked. but i think its better for the kid to get to stay for the party & things have to be a little less "festive".

in my area they arent suppose to celebrate ANY holidays or birthdays with a party. its some kinda health kick thing they are on. but i know lots of teachers that dont follow it & have mini-parties.

my mom subbed in a class where she was suppose to have the kids color Easter eggs. one of the girls is JW & the whole class stood up for here. when my mom handed her one they all said "she cant have that! she doesnt believe in it! dont give her one!" in a nice way. so she colored a special spring picture that the teacher had left.

its all up to the parents to talk to their kid about their beliefs, not the teachers job to shield them from the other students.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Answered at 8:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    what religion is against orange frosting?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My guess would be the uber-Christians who believe Halloween is of the devil.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• So no orange frosting for uber Christians because of the devil? What if it is a dora cake? must they scrape off her shirt first? WOW! as a Christians I have to say that is whacked!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2009