do you know of anyone?

we are a navy family and the navy has screwed up my husbands paycheck for a year, so whatever they screwed up, they take back for a year, and that leaves us with 750 a MONTH. and we dont qualify for food stamps... does anyone know of anyone in the military that has gotten food stamps before?
were a family of 4, and $400 every 2 weeks doesnt cover bills, diapers, food, gas. i really wish we could qualify ATLEAST until we can get our regular paycheck back. =/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can visit the DSHS or DHS website (called that depending on which state you live in..) and calculate everything and it will tell you if you can qualify or not.
    Do the amount that you get - not what you're supposed to be getting.
    If they don't have that calculator, you can always give it a try. And attach a note stating the problem, etc.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If you're not on WIC - do that as well. It'll help with the dairy side of things. :]
    K_Sawyer

• i would get a differnt person at DHS to help because my husband makes more than that and we have less people and still get food stamps, i would have them double check everything make sure you bring in bills and a lease/house payment because all that will help you get them.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 5:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• the reason she said we dont qualify was because of the BAH. When thats on our pay stub, it looks like we have alot of money, but they still count it anyways KNOWING that we dont touch that money. so it pissses me off because they know we cant afford to pay for groceries, but then she was like, "oh well, thats just how we do things here in the state of connecticut.
    it bothers me how she KNOWS we cant afford it and yet shes still smiling about it sending me off on my "merry way". shes the second person at the social services office for food stamps who told me no. =/ there arent many jobs out here, and i dont want to work for 95 percent of my paycheck to go to day care. i dont want to pay to be away from my kids. no ones hiring over here too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Ask for a different person to speak with or go to another office near you. We're in a city where we're RIGHT in the center.
    And tell her that the BAH is not able to be touched because it goes towards YOUR RENT. Dumb broads, I hate it when they assume BAH is MORE than that... it stands for Basic Allowance for Housing... not Groceries... Durh. :]
    Ask for a different rep. I hope it works!!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2009