What does early labor feel like?

I'm 35 weeks pregnant, but maybe a bit further. For the last couple of hours I've had what feels like menstrual cramps that come and go about every 8 minutes. The pain isn't terrible, but then again I've always suffered from extreme menstrual cramps, so I'm unsure of my pain tolerance. My question is...what does early labor feel like? Could these be contractions? I called my Dr. and he said to go to the hospital if they get worse or don't stop within a couple more hours. Did yours start out mild, but painful...or excruciating?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't jump the gun sweety! I had those for eight weeks all the time! I think your mind is ready to have a baby so every twinge or pain you get you'll be wondering if it's labor! It's the hardest part in my opinion. Trust me, if it's real you'll know it baby!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I had pain in my back, stomach, legs, and tightening in my belly all labor is different good luck!

toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 4:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yes, early labor feels like menstrual cramps, usually across your lower back and stomach. Congratulations, you'll probably have a baby soon!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:42 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• mine started 4 1/2 days before her birth but wait and see if they get like 5 mins apart and then go to the hospital.

toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 4:44 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My one and only symptom - before contractions - were loose stools.
    And the fact that I was completely empty and still felt like I had to go #2. And whenever I pushed - it relieved so much pressure.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• mine felt like menstrual cramps too...and felt like that til they broke my water. it was pretty mild for me...(excpet #3 as that was 6weeks of nonproductive labour)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• To me it felt like back ache in my lower back. i woke up with my back aching & just assumed i had a backache like I had been having for the last 2 months
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Braxton Hicks are often confused for early labor. It may indeed be your uterus contracting, and/or cervix begining to dilate....but, when labor begins you WILL know! If they are regular intervals apart (under 10 minutes apart) and continue with increasing intensity...then you are going into labour.
    Time for you to sleep if you can...the babe probably will be here in the next coming week or so. If not sooner. Eat a nice protein-filled meal for the energy you'll be needing, and take a poop before you really get into labour! That is my big advice!
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 6:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• That's kind of what it felt like~
    be sure you're not dehydrated!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2009