Sick and did not attend baby shower

I was invited to a very casual friends baby shower I was set to go, but this past week I got a cold with a horrible cough. I was feeling a bit better today and tried to go. Well as I was driving down there the coughing started again, and I mean lung hacking coughing. I decided to just drop off the gift but not stay and cough all over everyone, which I explained to her. Well now the friend and her BF are giving me the cold shoulder. Like I said we are casually friends, so I am not too heartbroken, but I just don't understand. Wouldn't you feel better if someone with a cold decided not to come and chance infecting you, your baby, and your guests?

chrissifaye

Asked by chrissifaye at 4:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• With swine flu and whooping cough going around they should have thanked you

Answer by admckenzie at 4:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If they didn't understand..then they aren't people you want as friends...make one last attempt when baby is born to stop and visit...but if they are rude move on. you deserve to be treated nicely....they should of brought you some chicken soup!!!!
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 4:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• screw that, if someone came to my house and they were sick they'd be kicked out

i'm pregnant and its MISERABLE being sick while pregnant
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• the party was today right?

maybe they're still too busy with the shower etc....call tomorrow and thank them for the invite
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• She's pregnant and obviously taking this way to personally if she's actually upset. She really should understand and will eventually calm down and get it. Maybe its just in your head. Give it some time and don't hurt yourself.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:38 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• These folks wouldn't enjoy me...I don't attend baby showers at all any more. They should be wishing you well instead of giving you the cold shoulder. I was diagnosed with bronchospasm, a symptom of asthma, last year, the catalyst being the flu. I went thru 4 straight months of upper respiratory infections before getting my diagnosis, a session on the nebulizer, and my first inhaler, a drug called ProAir. The mother in particular should be thankful for not having to go thru this experience, especially while still pregnant. I must get flu shots every year now. It really sounds as if this is a casual friendship, maybe they were more interested in the gift fest aspect of the shower (part of why I no longer attend). Only you can decide if the friendship is still worth pursuing.
    mimismom436

Answer by mimismom436 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Look, like to me, they should call you ,and wishing you a get well, you were sick,got out your bed, then delivered this ungrateful person a gift. I wouldn't call her, you know,being pregnant doesn't give you a licence to be mean and rude, there are some women who use being pregnant as an excuse to inflict verbally abuse on others,I do hope you're feeling better, and I think you did the mature thing of staying home,so you wouldn't pass your germs.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

I didn't mean to sign anonymously, get well soon.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think it was very nice of you to drop off a gift for her to open at her shower. I think you did the right thing by not staying. Why risk passing 'sick' germs to the mom-to-be or other shower guests. I am surprised that they are mad at you, when you were being thoughtful. I guess the ungrateful person and her friends would rather have gotten a nasty cold...and then complain about that.
    I hope you ger well soon!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2009