They put my puppy to sleep!

We had a german shepard puppy through my entire pregnancy. Tim found him running loose in Detroit while on a job. We moved in with friends about a month before I had my daughter and they really didn't have a good backyard for him (there was no fence so we walked him to a chain in the back) and we had to keep him in the basement. We decided it would be best to get rid of him because there was no way I could take care of him AND our baby (he was also SUPER HYPER...we didn't really train him because we don't know how to train a dog!). It was hard for me because he was really the only company I had during the day (everyone else works during the day). Anyhow, we took him to the Humane Society because I assumed they WOULD DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO FIND HIM A GOOD HOME. I wrote to them recently and recived a reply today: they put him to sleep. I'm so sad and feel guilty for taking him there. Any words to help me feel better?

CrystalJanie

Asked by CrystalJanie at 5:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Pets

• I am sorry. You did what was best. It is OK to feel badly, but at least this way he didn't suffer.

Answer by Bmat at 5:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• any animal taken to the humane society has a high risk of being euthenized. i'm sorry you didn't know that.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• You won't like anything I have to say.

You shouldn't have got the dog in the first place seeing as how you didn't have a stable home. And then to say we didn't really train him because we didn't know how! Poor excuse.....you learn. Read books, you said you were home all day with him. And as for the Humane Society, that's what they do if they can't find someone to adopt them. You would have been better off finding a home on Craigslist (you obviously have a computer) or putting an add in the paper.

I don't feel sorry for you one bit and I'm not going to sugar coat my answer to make you feel better. I just feel sorry for the dog.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• good job....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry, but i have to agree with mommymine who said that you shouldn't have gotten the dog in the first place if you didn't have a stable environment to bring it into.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Should have taken him to a german shepherd rescue or no kill shelter....or found him a home on your own. Human Societies are so overcrowded, they dont put much effort into dogs that they deem "untrainable"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Well LIKE I SAID (and if you people would have read what I wrote) we moved in with someone AFTER we had the dog! Where we lived when we first had the dog was a fine place for him. We didn't expect to have to move. I didn't have enough space to write EVERYTHING. And people that can't say anything nice PISS ME OFF. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't answer!! Thank you to those who DID answer nicely. I feel bad and I don't need to feel worse. And I DID try and find a home for the dog. I guess I shouldn't rely on GOOD PEOPLE answering my questions because 99% AREN'T.
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 5:36 PM on Aug. 29, 2009