Do you think we can afford having a baby?

I'm a hairdresser i work 5 days a week my DH is a Registered Nurse He works 5-6 Days a week. We really want to start a family and start TTC. Do you think money would be too tight? No bashing please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Darlin, if you wait until you can "afford" a child you will NEVER have one. You both have steady jobs and are being responsible, and those are the 2 main things to look at when starting a family. I say go for it and best of luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Well I know where I live RNs make aroudn 8,000 a month so I would say YEA, around here the mom could stay home if the dad was an RN
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 5:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Agreed with anon!
    Go for it! Wish you two the best!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• With both of you working you're probably doing better than a lot of people. I say go for it and good luck;) And it's wonderful that you are sitting down to think about things instead of just jumping in and hopeing you can make it. Good for you it shows you'll be a great Mom!
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It doesn't matter how much money you make...it's how you spend it. When we decided that I would stay home with my daughter who is a year old now, we took a $3000 a month cut from me not working. It's amazing the things you can live without!! You do what you have to and to be honest if everyone waited til they were stable, financially or otherwise, there wouldn't be very many babies coming into the world. As long as you have love to give, who cares about money!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• If your hospital and salon aren't letting employees go, if you're pretty current on bills and not badly in credit debt unless medical emergency debt if you have health insurance then I say go for it. Hopefully you have some money in savings too. That's the good world. The best world to be in to conceive is to have no credit card debt, and own your own home with great employment and great insurance.

While you're ttc and when you get pregnant work then on saving even more than you are. Clip coupons or go to coupon sites. We shop mostly Foodtown cause they give us points to save in the future on items and also can be used to get 10 dollars and 25 dollars off when that number of point is conceived. Maybe you have a Foodtown near you? When I save money from coupons and points, I take that amount out of our living money and put it in savings. 7 dollars saved here three dollars there 18 dollars here adds up.

Blessings!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i would see how much money you have after all bills are paid, then look into how much stuff costs (bottles diapers clothes exc) and see if you can afford that with money left over. but also remember there will be big things you have to get also (cribs carseat exc.) you have to put out quite abit of money even befor a baby gets here, the the costs just keep getting more.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 6:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I didn't think i could afford 3 kids, but i have 3 sons. We just have to live our lives accordingly. We budget alsomt everything and buy some things in bulk. If you know exactly where your money is going you would be amazed at how well you can budget. My husband is the only one who works rught now and he is a realtor. It is tough out there, especiall in that market, but we have to give up some fun things for now. Our children are worth it though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I know i couldn't afford to have a baby but if god thinks you are ready then you will have one whether you are ready or not.
    trentsmommy13

Answer by trentsmommy13 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• depends on how stable your jobs are and what your current expenses are. I don't think you're asking for "perfect" conditions, but just so that you can maintain your current cost of living. Only you can answer that. I'll tell you though, I know I can afford one. I don't have to ask anyone. So obviously the fact that your asking implies there may be something in your subconsious that is saying this isn't a good time for you.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2009