When is it ok for me to go back to school?

i started my school at state and got pregnant my sophmore year. I kept taking classes but bot as much. So basically i finished with my GE's but still need the higher division classes. Im trying to take some classes at city and just get my AA for now and go back for my BA later when my kids are in school. All i need are 5 classes and i can get my AA in Accounting. My fiance was supporting my idea on going to school but now he says why dont i get a better job and go to school later. I know that If and when i get my AA I can make more money and work less.
His working schedule changes every week. sometimes he is on in the morning or graveyard shift, I just never know and i cant work a class schedule around him. Should i put my foot down and tell him "Im going back to school!" or should I wait for another year or sO? I know i can take the classes all in one semester if they offer it at the college. HELP!!!

smedina

Asked by smedina at 5:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in

• you should do what you are comfortable with. If you have someone reliable enough to care for the baby then go back as soon as possible. The longer you postpone going back the harder it is to get back in the grove of things.
    trentsmommy13

Answer by trentsmommy13 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Usually there is a time limit on how long you have to finish a degree. If you wait you could loose all the credits you have. I think it would be a good idea to get that AA as soon as possible. You could take online courses. You aren't even married, do what is best for you and your kids. Once you have that degree no one can take that away.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think you should do it as soon as you can. I now wish I had gone for my masters but now that my son is older I have to much to do with him that I just don't have the time.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Are they classes you can take online? or any of them? If so, take them. That way you can do your work when your children are asleep and you wont have to worry about hubby's schedule.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• First, I would love to congratulate you for wanting to finish your education. If, you can find a sitter, don't wait, finish now, also,you maybe eligible for online classes. Best of luck to you.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Finish now. The economy stinks and you won't get a better job without a degree and you may have trouble with a degree. There are many people with BA's and MA's that can't get good jobs. Do not wait to finish school because you won't. 10 years will go by and you will wonder why you didn't finish and by then some of your credits may not be any good and you will have to retake the classes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I don't think you would lose all of your credits, if you wait, mine are 25 years old, and I just went to the City College and found out that I didn't lose any credits, although some of the requirements have changed slightly, and I may have to take a couple of extra classes to finish my AA, not sure, they said the department head may be willing to use what I completed. I do agree with you about finishing as soon as you can......obviously I didn't. Here I am 25 years later trying to decide if it's even worth it now. I think checking into online classes is a great idea, and if your family can financially get through one semester of you in school full time, it would be worth the sacrifice. One semester is nothing, you will have the education for a lifetime!! Good luck. (By the way, as a mother with three sons, I'd be happy for my sons to marry someone who wanted to help make their family's life better.)
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• You can take some classes at home online for many schools now. I would not put it off

Answer by admckenzie at 1:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I think when women start to think about their own needs instead of what is best for the family as a whole and "put their foot down" instead of respecting their SO's feelings and opinion, the end up divorced. You did things backwards. You go pregnant before finishing school and before getting married and now you'll have to put your wants on hold in order to keep peace in your family.

I've been married for nearly 11 years and it took me a long time to realize how we women tend to place our own wants above our husband's wishes (and unless your SO is a total jerk, their wishes usually consider the family as a whole more than ours do). If you do not start placing more care and consideration on your fiance's wants and needs, your relationship won't last and you'll be tearing apart your child's home just so you could "put your foot down" and get what you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• ANON 46,are you for real, maybe if she get a better education that will help her family,and when did an education mean she didn't care for her family,you sound like a person living in the Beverly Hills days with Jed and Granny, I have never heard of another woman putting down another woman for wanting to better herself,you sound like a mad woman who is stuck in the house with no future, I really hope you don't have daughters. I feel sorry for you anon46,you sound like a broken woman and your husband stole your dreams. Every woman has the right to an education,go for it poster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

Next question in
Should I be going back to school too?

Next question overall (Relationships)
abbrev....