What's your biggest pet peeve about parenting?

For me, it's when single people, or couples without kids, try to tell me how to raise or discipline my kids. Especially ppl who "used to be a nanny" or "my boss was a child-birthing expert"... omg so WHAT?!?!

So what is it for you?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 6:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hate it when people count on Chuck-E-Cheese or the McDonalds play area to be the babysitter. They just let their kids run wild and don't even TRY to maintain them. Kids are hitting and kicking and punching and pushing and taking tickets and coins from each other- and where the HELL is mom? Oh she's at the salad bar.... right..... I don't care if it IS a playplace... that doesn't mean you stop being a parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I wish my kids would listen to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• when my mom trys to tell me how to raise her when she comes down tells me i dont have her dressed warm enough or telling me she is too young to be doing what she does and what not
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• i hate when people come up to me at a resturant to tell me how adorable my baby is. After the first ten thousand comments i just want to enjoy my meal!!!
    trentsmommy13

Answer by trentsmommy13 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• same as yours de if you dont have kids you dont count, or my bil babys mama she is 20 and smater than anyone she has a 1yr old and can tell you how to raise a teenager because god has given her all the knoweldge of the world lol
    milana_1229

Answer by milana_1229 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• when parents dont pay attention to their kids, i have seen kids at restrauents climbing on the table. that is what bothers me, they should teach their kids to behave in public, im a soon to be mommy, so i dont go up to people and tell then how to raise their kids, becasue i would hate that. but if you let a child do whatever they want now as babies, then they will control the house when they are older, your a parent for a reason, you are the boss not the child, thats my biggest pet peeve, and i hope i do great in that department
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I have a particularly difficult teenager. We make choices on parenting him based on what we feel will work for our family and are suitable to our child. It's not always easy but we know our child better than anyone does. I hate when people seem to "pity" us or think we have lost our minds. Why can't they be supportive and trust our judgement? And through all of this I have learned to be far less judgemental myself and more encouraging of other parents who may seem unconventional in their dealings with their children.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Yesterday we were at a fun-day for my hubby's work and there was this giant blow-up waterslide and it had a little pool area and one of those cannon things that squirts water. My son was trying to go down the slide and there were like 4 brats going UP it. Then there was a little girl that was shooting the cannon towards hubby and I and this teenager that was watching her sibling. Out of the 10+ kids that were on the thing, only hubby and I and this teen were over there watching. Then I went over to my son to tell him I was going to sit down at the picnic table on the side of the slide and that I had a drink for him if he wanted it and this boy started squirting me. I moved and continued to talk to son and the boy kept turning it on me. I was getting so mad.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• emergency sounding screams in public places, going up the slide, any kind of regular tv for children under 2 (and tv as a babysitter at any age) and when people do this chain of advice- say I tell them x doesn't work for my dd, so they suggest something else...and then something else etc. and after a while I start feeling disagreeable for saying no to all ther "helpful" advice.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I am so glad to hear I am not the only one that hates kids going UP a slide instead of DOWN it. I used to work at a daycare and i can't tell you how many times I would sing-song "Up the ladder and down the slide." The biggest pain about it is that its usually kids like 10-12 yrs old going up when there is a 2 yr old on the slide. I'm like are you serious?!? Don't you want to be at home playing video games or at the mall or something?!? Who goes to the park at 12 and messes with little kids? I would be embarrassed to be seen acting like that at that age!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 9:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2009